GDC 2010: PlayStation Move Hands-On Impressions

Posted: March 11, 2010
GDC 2010: PlayStation Move Hands-On Impressions
G4's Patrick Klepek and Andrew Pfister discuss Sony's PlayStation Move motion controller during GDC 2010.

• Cathartic Denoument

Heheh..I like how Patrick & I are on the same page, in terms of wanting to see games like Dead Space: Extraction, The Conduit, & House of the Dead: Overkill get the PSMove-treatment.
    [And this was before I even saw this video, that I started leaving comments like around in other articles, saying so.]

Posted: March 28, 2010 8:11 PM
    Cathartic+Denoument
  • hash33

I don't know why Sony didn't take the motion control concept before nintendo did in the first place. If the ps3 is so great and it is a real nice system console why would they want to do something like the wii !!! I'm not knocking the evolving in gaming or technology in anyway I just think they shouldn't duplicate something else of someone elses product. Don't dogg out the wii so much at least it has alot on it's console that you can put on it as far it was designed as a nintendo console goes, so be easy on the wii ya'll don't front like it's all that terrible!! Even though the PS3 Grand Royal !!!!!

Posted: March 16, 2010 12:07 AM
    hash33
  • Elliott_Ness

I don't have a playstation, but I'm mildly interested in the playstation move. how ever I have not seen the killer app for the move that 'll make me buy it.

I think that a developer needs to take the left stance of okay the move will get you moving and sweating ...how can we make it a fun experience.

Because I think that is what I want, something that makes no apology for getting me off my couch but will engross me enough that I don't care that
    I'm sweating or tired.

Otherwise I have a game controller and I'm fine using it.. this also goes for Natal and the Wii

Posted: March 14, 2010 8:21 PM
    Elliott_Ness
  • dantastic4

Personally I feel there will always be an audience that won't accept motion controls even knowing that in some cases they can actually improve the gameplaying experience.I myself preferably would rather play FPSs on a key pad,mouse or a Wiimote vs playing on an even more unaccurate thumb controller.The reason for me is most of the time the controls never feel right or most of the time akward.I would be all for Sony really pushing move for the simple fact I want better FPS type of experience on my PS3.I don't care what any fanboys says about Killzone 2 but those controls were really bad and sloppy.Now if that would of been bult ground up with the move then the experience would of greatly a better effect vs what was a bad excuse of an FPS on a console.

Posted: March 14, 2010 12:39 AM
    dantastic4
  • ddc2494

If only Patrick made obscure references and was funnier..

Posted: March 13, 2010 9:05 PM
    ddc2494
  • wolfman01

So is the Sub controller motion enabled or what?

Posted: March 13, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Vesuvian Ast3r1x

All I have to say is this: These are the same companies who said that motion sensing was all gimmick. Nobody seems to be remembering that.

Posted: March 13, 2010 3:13 PM
  • MakoTheWolf

At first I was a little bit worried about my emotional investment with the PS Move, but honestly these guys did a great job of describing the product and where it is in this state. I'd be fine if they had some more air-time. Good job and I can't wait for E3!

Posted: March 13, 2010 12:51 PM
    MakoTheWolf
  • theY2Kbug

okay i think that it will be a whole lot better then the wii because of the games and the state of the art equipment the realism of it unlike the wii that attracts mostly kids below 9 and people who are lazy and need to loose weight cause thats what so many people think it does but it doesnt unless its wii fit.

Posted: March 13, 2010 10:00 AM
    theY2Kbug
  • BroRyo

I think the gladiator and archery games were more precise than the other ones. However, agile gamers may have challenge trying to pull off certain moves.

Posted: March 13, 2010 9:53 AM
    BroRyo
  • bombblazin

It looks like all Sony did was cut the controller in half to get two motion controller pieces, which resembles like the wii. Of course this is nothing but a WiiHD. Sony has a great idea but who knows how far it will run, it all depends on the consumer if this is something they want to invest in or throw their money away buy spending another $40-$60 for the motion controllers.

Posted: March 13, 2010 8:17 AM
    bombblazin
  • nerix

Yaay more g4 content

Posted: March 13, 2010 4:41 AM
    nerix
  • T_Rexx

I cant understand why these guys are saying the move is too accurate....and playing a game they get tired after like ..10 minutes? What you expect!? I wonder what you're gonna say when you test drive Natal? Remember that demo showed her recently, how that girl Abbie was jumping and kick some balls? Am sure she must be a gym freak to do that!

Posted: March 12, 2010 1:30 PM
    T_Rexx
  • Infinius

I have to say, I can respect Sony for acknowledging what we all see of MOVE. That it looks a lot like Wii. How awkward would it be if they were ignoring or even denying the comparison.

Additionally, here is my addition to the naming fun: Playstation ThrII aka PS3II

Posted: March 12, 2010 11:33 AM
    Infinius
  • Jacan

Hmm, what about showing the Playstation move instead of just talking about it.

Posted: March 12, 2010 10:03 AM
    Jacan
  • kevinalford

Sessler kept making obscure references after 2 minutes. I wonder how far away he was....

Posted: March 12, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Ell_Brando

At least we now know that it is going to be a while before the ps4.

Posted: March 12, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Tyger

Great job guys though I did disagree on a few points. Its almost like we as gamers have become "a bit" hypocritical about what Move is trying to offer. If choice is the name of the game there the controller should be super accurate for the developers so that they can make great shooters and games that require the level of accuracy that wii couldn't provide but then that also means that if developed correctly, games can still be made with the approximation being talked about here. It's all about what fits best for the game being made. I think that's where wii failed, some games just sucked because the controllers level of possible accuracy couldn't keep up with what the game was designed to do. So hopfully now we can have that lightsaber firghter.

As for SOCOM, I respect all that this game brought to the table but I just wasn't a fan to the point of buying it over other games that launched in that same window of time...until now. I think seeing that the Move may bring something like this to the game intrigues me. While I understand the guys skepticism I think you have to also take a step back here. Fans say don't forget the hardcore and it looks like in offering this Sony is saying, "You don' get more hardcore than a SOCOM fan." If they can make a control set up that works for SOCOM regardless of how many people actually use it as their primary set up I think it will be a win because this isn't a wii sports rip off. This can show developers you can make big boy games too.

Finally when it comes to how the game plays it sounds like the games even in "ALPHA" worked well but I keep hearing some ppl say the Wii is still better. I'm excited here for the potential that this brings and if you can get enough of a feel to even be slightly optimistic that this "middle of the road" approach Sony's taking might bring us some AAA games with Move capabilities that work then I think Sony did a good job of whetting the appetite for now, but I doubt this was meant to be the whole meal.

Posted: March 12, 2010 6:42 AM
    Tyger
  • 7Hokage

Great discussion Guys I fill the same way about Sony's Move, I just want to see more hardcore games. PS cant wait for E3, Come on RE6 with PlayStation Move!!!

Posted: March 12, 2010 1:29 AM
    7Hokage
  • tdogg06051991

It sounds like the sims is going on to your right

Posted: March 12, 2010 1:13 AM