Metroid: Other M "Young and Naive" Trailer

Posted: March 2, 2010
Metroid: Other M "Young and Naive" Trailer
Nintendo and Team Ninja releases a new Metroid: Other M story trailer focusing solely on the backstory of the usually mysterious Samus Aran.

• Sergekrack

I actually really like this, I've always wanted some kind of story to metroid. At the same time though, I understand the concern that a lot of people are having. It is very similar to link talking, and the loneliness of the games definitely put the feel into the them. I guess even though I'm really excited for this, I hope it doesn't ruin the game for most others, because if it does then we won't be seeing much more of metroid games like it.

Posted: March 5, 2010 9:32 AM
    Sergekrack
  • RTR

I don't care what other people say. I support this game. Rarely does a studio takes a big franchise and tries to do something new with it. It's way too early to tell how will the big picture be in the end, but I do know this: I'm very excited to learn more.
    I could get lost in those baby blues all day...so I will.

Posted: March 4, 2010 7:58 PM
    RTR
  • RTR

has anyone noticed that this cutscene looks gorgeous?

Posted: March 4, 2010 6:08 PM
    RTR
  • RTR

That voice is so soothing. I like it. The Team Ninja design of Samus sure is interesting. I could look into those baby blues all day...and I probably will. It does look like Samus but it does look like a character TECMO would come up with.
    I think it's interesting how they wanna focus on Samus' character more than in previous games, especially since Nintendo is coworking with the creators of DOA Extereme Beach volleyball (Wow, just imagine if they showed that in a trailer (shudder)). I think it's still too early to tell just what is the big picture in terms of the structure of the story and gameplay. I'm definetely very interested, and excited, and I hope to see more soon.
    And to all the purists out there whining, calm down. Just because it's a different style of approaching Metroid doesn't mean you should label it as a bad thing just like that.

Posted: March 4, 2010 6:07 PM
    RTR
  • bestclipfan

I'm a 16 year old and even I think this looks stupid. The best part about Metroid was the lack of dialogue and that you had to explore. This game looks like a steaming pile of turd right now and only an extremely fun combat/game play system can redeem this game from becoming garbage it seems to be currently.

Posted: March 4, 2010 11:57 AM
    bestclipfan
  • CareyGrant

1: I'm rather shocked by all the "positive" responses here. Having any of you played and "experienced" Metroid? Grow up with Metroid from the 8-bit NES days?

2: I F-ING CALLED IT!

Metroid: Other M? No. Metroid: Epic Fail!

Mercy! The new Metroid looks like some emo, Japanese, overly dramatized, angst fest, chocked full of androgynous characters who ALL look like prepubescent adolescent girls - like the most recent Final Fantasies or Kindgom Hearts (or most anything out of Japan today). Boo!

They NEUTERED SAMUS! Where's the bad ass bounty hunter? Samus the WOMAN!? And who's this mousy tween in her place? This girl looks like she can't take out the garbage on her own let alone be a bounty hunter!

Being Team Ninja, I'm just waiting for the further character assassination of Metroid Gaiden: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

And giving her a voice? Sacrilege! Nintendo fans and purists alike should be weeping; this doesn't bode well. Just wait for the next Team Ninja Nintendo collaboration: Mario & Link: Shakespeare in the Park.

I'll still buy Toyota, and I still love my PS3, but this... I'm very unhappy with Japan right now. I hate you.

Shame on Nintendo and Team Ninja for destroying a cherished chunk of my fond childhood memories. You now have a place next to George Lucas on the Wall of Shame in my Heart. Congrats.

I will not be buying this. Nor will I be playing it, or the series from this day forward, if this is the direction they're deciding to take Metroid.

Posted: March 4, 2010 7:52 AM
    CareyGrant
  • SilverJC

It seams they are getting ready for a GDC demonstration if not a E3 one.

Posted: March 4, 2010 5:06 AM
    SilverJC
  • ScrappedHeap

The voice isn't what I'd have have expected from Metroid Prime, but it does fit the younger version of Samus that Team Ninja has presented. I am not familiar with much of the metroid lore, but if Samus is supposed to be 20 something or younger in those games I think the voice is great. I believe that most people just assume her voice should be tougher based on her years of violence as a bounty hunter, but it seems those things have yet to occur based on this trailer.

Posted: March 3, 2010 9:00 PM
    ScrappedHeap
  • talonk451

The voice makes me a little nervous, and I am not sure the voice actor is actually all that talented as I felt it wasn't really connected to the character or the emotion she was trying to portray.

I can probably ignore the voice in exchange for some great gameplay and story.
    Don't let me down Ninj-endo. (Purposeful typo btw)
    -----
    I just re-watched the clip and had my girlfriend listen to the voice, she doesn't really have an attachment or knowledge of Metroid, but we share tastes in what we watch and the voice actors we like. She didn't really get the same vibe as I did. So I am just going to assume that my reaction is due to the fact that I am so closely attached to the series and have already had some idea of how she should sound in my head. Hopefully the adjustment to this voice (for all of us that don't really feel they nailed it) will be an easy one.

Posted: March 3, 2010 8:24 PM
    talonk451
  • Basilisk1991

Good VA, I just hope they don't ignore the 2 most important plot points, her colony's destruction and her adoption by the Chozo

Posted: March 3, 2010 6:40 PM
    Basilisk1991
  • Severnik

strangely the voice seems to fit the character. I had my own version in my head, but this one just fits better than I could come up with.

Posted: March 3, 2010 4:55 PM
    Severnik
  • RerunVanPelt

I think it's a departure from how we know Samus. For purists it seems wrong. In a way this is similar to Wolverine. His mysterious past was something we all acknowledge and when Marvel created an origin story for him, purists freaked. The Origin of Samus is a storyline that has to be explored. Prequels are a common theme when there is a lack of material to move the character forward. Books, movies, comics do it, why not games?

Posted: March 3, 2010 3:06 PM
    RerunVanPelt
  • mattwalker

I, for one, am a lot more excited about 'Metroid - Other M' than I initially was.

The first Metroid game I ever played was the first 'Metroid Prime' for the Gamecube, and I loved it. Then, I begin to play some of the older games, and didn't love it quite as much - still fun, but I never could really get into the 2-D version of the awesome 3-D world I was introduced to in 'Prime.'

Then, I heard about this game, and how it integrated 2-D and 3-D gameplay, and I thought the idea was interesting, but I was going to have to be really impressed if I was going to but it.

Now, I hear Samus's voice, and see some of those cinematic, and I'm thinking about making the bold claim that this might be the best story in-game that Wii has to offer - maybe Nintendo has to offer. Samus always seemed, to me, to be more of a 'Zelda' character, than a 'Mario' character, if you catch my drift. Metroid has some ridiculously intense history presented to you merely by reading instruction books and watching opening sequences on the 2-D games, as well as scanning in the 3-D ones. There's a story to be told there, and I think that 'Metroid - Other M' is going to be the one to do it.

And, to be honest, the voice in the trailer is actually, more or less, exactly what I imagined Samus Aran's voice to sound like. ^_^

Can't wait!

Posted: March 3, 2010 1:59 PM
    mattwalker
  • RickyRayge

I'm not sure why the needed to preface the trailer by saying "Not Actual Gameplay". We know the Wii can't produce graphics like this.

Posted: March 3, 2010 1:43 PM
    RickyRayge
  • Wallhammer40k

Super Metroid (SNES) and Metroid 2 (GAMEBOY) are the best metroid Games ever!!

Posted: March 3, 2010 1:07 PM
    Wallhammer40k
  • bulletwitch114

this looks like it's already off to a bad start for me but i could be wrong.. I didn't like prime when it moved metroid from its 2d origins.. If this new adaptation to the metroid universe retains the playability metroid was built on, this apparent attempt at a story may be somewhat tolerating. I still believe super metroid was not only the best metroid but ranks high as one of the best platformers in its earlier heydays.

Posted: March 3, 2010 6:03 AM
    bulletwitch114
  • Spybreak

Wow I couldn't believe how much I actually liked what I saw and heard. May be light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Posted: March 3, 2010 2:49 AM
    Spybreak
  • EleventhEarlofMar

I am definitely intrigued by how this is going. I am glad that they are keeping much of it under wraps for now, and only showing bits & pieces to entice us. This departure for the series does seem to be a gamble, however when Metroid Prime came out, and switched our famous heroine to first person, that was a gamble as well...and it certainly paid off. One thing I do hope for is that the game doesn't rely too heavily on the cinematics. The best games are the ones that can make the transition between cinematics and gameplay seemless & appropriate (hopefully Team Ninja will put due concentration to making the gameplay equally as impressive).

I must say that I just got finished playing thru the Prime Trilogy again, and am going thru major Samus-withdrawal. June certainly can come faster anytime it wants!

Posted: March 2, 2010 9:50 PM