Sesslers Soapbox: The PS3 Glitch of March, 2010

Posted: March 2, 2010
Sesslers Soapbox: The PS3 Glitch of March, 2010
Adam weighs in about this week's PS3 glitch and how he thinks this might be a warning of things to come.

• Roundjolt

Do you Think Mafia 2 Will be any good im slightly iffy on it

Posted: August 19, 2010 11:43 PM
    Roundjolt
  • superham22

that glitch made me mad. it messed up my trophies too.

Posted: March 28, 2010 8:43 PM
    superham22
  • booful

the problem was that the PS3 network thought it was a leap year and when it went from feb. 28 to march 1 the system screwed itself up. I don't know why that messed the system up but i know that is the reason the system was messed up.

Posted: March 20, 2010 7:52 PM
    booful
  • redsauceonpasta

There's nothing inherently wrong with being connected and/or plugged in to a network, but there must be better protocols because when one thing crashes, it's rarely isolated. Too much tech that we don't want is being forced down our throats and as a result, some people spent $60 on games they couldn't even play offline. I get irritated when I buy a game that doesn't let me play local multiplayer. I don't want to log on to anything, I don't want an account, and I don't want mandatory upgrades, but I DO want all the things that for some reason I can only do or get from Xbox Live. Why the take it or leave it ultimatum? A world dependent entirely upon electronic technology is not brave, it's foolish and bound for disaster. Take modern automobiles for example. Before long you'll need a laptop with wifi handy just to change a tire. Not gonna help when Price detonates that nuke over the atmosphere. Word to the wise, ditch and Eotech and use your iron sights. I'm talking about life, brothers, talkin' about life.

Posted: March 3, 2010 7:16 PM
    redsauceonpasta
  • adam_sessler

quick comment...Brave New World is the title of the great Huxley novel but the name of the book is referencing a quote from Shakespeare's The Tempest. The play itself is considered a reaction to the sea-change in worldview following the discovery of the Americas and Europe's movement into these "mysterious" territories.

"O wonder!
    How many goodly creatures are there here!
    How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world
    That has such people in't!"
    - William Shakespeare, The Tempest, 5.1

Huxley's novel describes a world desensitized by technology and immediate satisfaction made possible through restrictions to information. The sense of "wonder" in the book is in reaction to those who choose to live "traditionally" as outcasts on reservations.

point being...read both works, they are awesome.

and so endeth the lecture

Posted: March 3, 2010 6:04 PM
    adam_sessler
  • Aotsandxplayninjawarrior!!!

I partially agree but this is another sign that PS3 is worse than Xbox 360 i mean comon xbox has red rings but thats not close to often as this glitch EVERYBODY who turned on their PS3 at 4 oclock on that day got glitched sorry!

Posted: March 3, 2010 4:19 PM
    Aotsandxplayninjawarrior!!!
  • UltraViolence74

NICE CHEST HAIR ADAM

Posted: March 3, 2010 1:37 PM
    UltraViolence74
  • Ewoc

Well Adam.. I completely understand what you mean. It didn't hit me with the PS3, but when I was on steam and I was trying to play AVP single-player. WELL it just told me that it could not lock on to the servers and to try again next time. After my initial WTF moment, I came to the conclusion that Steam has all of us under control. EVEN THOUGH I had my physical disk of AVP, I would not be able to play it, unless my master allowed it.

Posted: March 3, 2010 7:18 AM
    Ewoc
  • Spybreak

Thought the clock was changed by the earthquake in Chile lol. No just joking but hey we did get shorter days by a bit from that. I experience this, without internet or achievements, when I downloaded too much and got slowed down by our satellite ISP. I never knew how much I loved, like you state, seeing what everyone else is playing and showing them what I'm playing. Had signing in problems with my 360 and often times got disconnected because the dialed down speed wasn't good enough to stay connected lol. Yeah that lasted 2 weeks until our usage went down to "acceptable levels". grrrr Hey glad people could play their PS3s again, technical problems always bring down anyone's day.

Posted: March 3, 2010 2:47 AM
    Spybreak
  • Zeratul55

hey did you not hear the disco music lol man get with the times gorrila men are in!

Posted: March 2, 2010 9:59 PM
    Zeratul55
  • OptimumForgeMachinima

Hey!

John Trevolta! Button up your shirt!

Gorilla on the loose!

Posted: March 2, 2010 7:57 PM
    OptimumForgeMachinima
  • skywalker1055

Adam i love you, but button your shirt lol

Posted: March 2, 2010 3:23 PM
  • skwareballz

the weirdest thing i've heard about this small clock glitch is that it works just the y2k bug was supposed to work where computers shutdown after reading the wrong date. ps3 read it was a leap year and shutdown? you'd think ten years later all our stuff would be immune to calendar bugs.

Posted: March 2, 2010 3:18 PM
    skwareballz
  • HumbleBoy13

glad to hear problems fixed.

Posted: March 2, 2010 2:49 PM
    HumbleBoy13
  • paulthebest

Brave New World is a book by Aldous Huxley. Required reading for tech-heads.

Posted: March 2, 2010 1:51 PM
    paulthebest
  • N33Viper

The problem has been fixed as we now know, but what is your opinion on people trying to claim this event was on the scale of the RROD, which cost Microsoft money and people had to get new Xbox's sent to then for over many years, and this was just a calendar error and fixed itself within 24hrs

Posted: March 2, 2010 1:46 PM
    N33Viper
  • bentreeze

sorry if anybody know

Posted: March 2, 2010 1:46 PM
    bentreeze
  • bentreeze

if any now where the line a brave new world is from please tell me

Posted: March 2, 2010 1:44 PM