PlayStation 3's Major Outage

Posted: March 1, 2010
PlayStation 3's Major Outage

Sony fanboys around the world are left without working consoles this past weekend due to a clock-related hardware problem. Kevin Pereira talks to X-Play’s Adam Sessler and G4 News Editor Patrick Klepek to talk about what happened to the PS3, Sony’s response and more. How many flamewars will this news start?

• dxjx23

The Playstation Network outage that began last Wednesday has continued through the weekend, as Sony rebuilds the network in the wake of a security breach.

Sony is no longer estimating when PSN will be back online. On Thursday, the company only expected the outage to last a day or two.

Sony confirmed on Friday that the network was hacked, or in spokesman Patrick Seybold s words, affected by an external intrusion. This caused Sony to shut down PSN entirely, along with the Qriocity service. Now, Seybold says the company is working around the clock to restore access.

Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure, Seybold wrote on the official Playstation Blog. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

Hacking group Anonymous claims that it wasn t involved in the attack, but didn t rule out the possibility that individual members acted alone. The group, which has a vendetta against Sony for suing PS3 hacker George Hotz, has previously attacked Sony websites.

The big unanswered question now, aside from when PSN will be back up, is whether any user information or credit card numbers were exposed during the breach. Answering that question, I d argue, should be the top priority.

[UPDATE: An unnamed Sony source told Playstation Universe that PSN's Japanese servers may be restored on Monday, and that U.S. and Europe servers would follow on Tuesday. So far, this information is unconfirmed.]

Posted: April 24, 2011 9:02 PM
    dxjx23
  • dxjx23

Man this is some B.S. Ok sony has a network an so does XBOX. This is just a tool to put out sony because of competition with XBOX 360. If sony can be hacked so can XBOX. All I ever hear is dummies comin on PSN to recruit gamers by sayin XBOX is better, if that is the case then wut the hell r u doin wit a playstation. I have been wit sony all the way an would never buy XBOX even if someone paid me. Yes there are some cool games that are exclusives for 360 that are really good but I have been with sony playstation since it has been out an it was the games an the great graphics that pulled me away from my Nintendo/Sega years but still love the classics. Hell Sega Dreamcast at the time was better that PS1 an was the first to have online gaming I believe an look where they r at. Kinda weird though one of the best shooters drops Socom 4 an the network goes out. And to all u cheaters out there get a life because u are also the blame for this an have ruined for everyone so thanks a lot u rooty pooh CANDY ASS

Posted: April 22, 2011 9:47 PM
    dxjx23
  • BlackLable69

Well at least everyone is seeing first hand how important the trophy system is to PS3 owners. After I lost my first 360 from a meltdown I added a leaf blower & have never had any hardware or software issues in years.

Posted: March 10, 2010 12:49 AM
    BlackLable69
  • scorpian876

There is always ups and downs with technology all the time.
    I have a PS 3 ,after 5 years it kicked the bucket,I am going
    to buy a new PS3.That does not scare me away from buying a PS 3.
    I own a x-box 360 and it got the the red ring of death finally
    after 1 year and 3 months,I am covered by microsoft sending me a new one for free,that does not scare me away from x-box 360.
    Every time you buy technology it will stop working on you after
    awhile,that is why it is called warentry on electronics.

Posted: March 3, 2010 4:49 PM
    scorpian876
  • anubis_182

Leave my zune alone! Its HD and it plays almost all type of videos. Oh, you guys can't put individual songs on your IPOD, zune can. Boom!

Posted: March 3, 2010 2:29 PM
    anubis_182
  • dbye

I think the issue that needs to be addressed is why Sony's online architecture allowed some games to work while others did not. Console hardware problems aside and look at the big picture. IMO

Microsoft enforces a set of "standards" on the software for their console so that all games will work in offline mode ( unless it is an online only game ) in case the service is unavailable. The only issue being the licensing issues with downloaded content that some users experience.

If Sony had standards then this would not have happened and if they would have had proper "internal clocks" installed in their systems it would not have happened either. These 2 things bother me and the outage should not have occurred if the architecture was correct. This just shows that PSN has a little ways to go before they start "charging" for the service or parts of the service.

Posted: March 3, 2010 4:31 AM
    dbye
  • havoksb

My PS3 was working the day of the problem but i was playing all day, the only problem was the PS network was down.

Posted: March 2, 2010 9:10 PM
    havoksb
  • BoydofZINJ

I was at work and my PS3 was powered down completly, luckily. I WONT TURN ON MY PS3 for a few more days still... JUST TO BE SAFE.

Posted: March 2, 2010 4:27 PM
    BoydofZINJ
  • Deathinflames

I agree, the vast majority of people won't care about this in a few days. The only thing that bothered me in this whole fiasco was the uncertainty about whether or not my trophies and data would make it out of this alive. *whew*

Posted: March 2, 2010 2:13 PM
    Deathinflames
  • Gadge4321

I think that unless this happens to the PS3 again and again and again, Sony wont lose any fanboys or PS3 owners, even after the Xbox 360 failed over and over again, they still have loyal supporters standing by there side.

Posted: March 2, 2010 12:58 PM
    Gadge4321
  • CamaroAdam

I wasn't even aware of this until I read it on here, its starting to warm up here outside, so I doubt my systems will even be played again, until this October or November when it gets cold again, so I really don't care. At least then when I want to play my PS3 it will work, rather than my 360 still seeing red.

Posted: March 2, 2010 9:00 AM
    CamaroAdam
  • Cutie_Honey

Skynet is testing our reactions to internet attacks...

Posted: March 2, 2010 8:53 AM
    Cutie_Honey
  • thexcheat

Adam Sessler and Patrick Klepec layin' it down! If it wasn't for Adam, Patrick, and Abbie I wouldn't be watching G4.... well, maybe thats an overstatement... but they're awesome.

Posted: March 2, 2010 7:34 AM
    thexcheat
  • Redd75

Looking back, should we still call it a glitch, or was it simply a slight speedbump?

Posted: March 2, 2010 6:14 AM
  • tragedy93

I saw the anouncement on G4's webbie tyesterday at five o'clock and had to say, WTF? as my Girlie had been playing on my PS3 (mostly using Home and playing Uncharted2 and Bioshock2) for the past four hours and it was working just fine. I have the Drakes Fortune 160gb bundle and everything appeared to be normal. Of course I told her to quit playing and shut it down immediately anyways. Scared the crap out of me, and of course I started to immediately jump to conclusions about this being a big month for Sony and corporate sabotage and whatever...but it looks a lot more plausible that it relly was a leap year mistake after all.

Posted: March 2, 2010 6:06 AM
    tragedy93
  • fuzymn

I happen to be someone that got screwed by this glitch. Saw problem with network...I had just upgraded hard drive on a 40gb machine that is 2 years old. called in to have the extended waranty fix the problem. They informed me that the problem was with PSN at about 6PM Sunday, @ 11PM checked and service was still down so I proceeded to play an offline game...Fallout3 GOY(4th or 5th time playing through..I am an an adict) when machine was loading trophies, machine shut down at 10% and went into an overheat fault with the red power light blinking continuously as though the machine had overheeted. Now my PS3 is a doorstop and is being shipped to have it warrantied out as the disc will not eject and I do not have a model with a manual eject button. Power does not stay on to force an eject by holding down the eject button for 10 seconds or more. I am still a sony fan just a little peeved about this issue. I think it was Toyota trying to deflect all the attention away from their steel wagons of death...:)

Posted: March 2, 2010 12:56 AM
  • fuzymn

Posted: March 2, 2010 12:52 AM
  • Led-Head86

all is well and im glad. good thing this didnt happen on march 16 ;) also i can log in to PSN on the playstation site but it will not allow me to post a blog. it acts as if im not logged in everytime i try and when i click on the link to login from the blog page it wont load and buggs out. any diagnosis? email me at zakking_86@yahoo.com thank you

Posted: March 1, 2010 11:27 PM
    Led-Head86
  • GenSmit

I didn't even notice until 5 pm today when I saw it on twitter and by then it was fixed anyways, so honestly this isn't a big deal. I really don't care as long as there able to fix it quickly and as long as it doesn't brick my PS3. This is more funny than anything, I mean imagine the look on sony's face when they realized they programed in the wrong date for a leap year. Priceless really.

Posted: March 1, 2010 10:53 PM
    GenSmit
  • dwayne601

im a 360 owner n even i had to laugh at that one!! lol..

Posted: March 1, 2010 10:31 PM