Hot Topics - Casual Games: Salvation or Damnation?

Posted: February 24, 2010
Hot Topics - Casual Games: Salvation or Damnation?
Casual Games: Salvation or Damnation? Adam asks the question of David Jaffe, Eat Sleep Play and David Crane, legendary game-maker in this Hot Topic from DICE 2010.

• stalepie

Great shot of Jaffe's balls at 23:52.

Posted: March 1, 2010 3:23 PM
    stalepie
  • HAMCHUNKS

lol wow! did anyone notice how jaffe turns adams first question into his "Why calling all cars failed" speech. I respect Jaffe but man i'm starting to like him less and less the more i see of him, AMAZING GAME THOU

Posted: February 28, 2010 9:28 PM
    HAMCHUNKS
  • jdogtwodolla

Dice Summit > Healthcare Summit

Posted: February 28, 2010 11:53 AM
    jdogtwodolla
  • drangel_jam

...and others games are Metal Gear... don't forget the pop corn and large soda.

(just kidding--and by the way, MGS is one of my fave franchises of all time, so I can pick on it).

Posted: February 28, 2010 10:22 AM
    drangel_jam
  • drangel_jam

This is the perfect example of old developer mentality (and buy old I mean golden era) and current development mentality (and by current I mean someone who also is artistically driven, but much more business minded).

I really think that the media is the one who puts so much wait on what's casual and what's not. They are too quick to categorize games, I personally believe that game have varying degrees in terms of casual and "traditional" ("hardcore" is overused) elements inlcuding gameplay mechanics, depth of gameplay, progression, art style, presentation, and story/plot.

I just see games as games most of the time. Some have more input to output focus--meaning it's more about what you're doing than than what's happening on the screen/the feedback; and others are vice versa, having more focus on output from input--where, the input can be simplistic, repetitive, and/or intuitive, and it's really about what's happening on the screen/speakers, visual and audio resonance.

Posted: February 28, 2010 10:16 AM
    drangel_jam
  • A-Bittersweet-Life

I've yet to play a game that recaptured my innocence in gaming. I guess for a video game designer that is the ultimate goal, finding that part of the brain that has never been itched yet.

Posted: February 28, 2010 4:36 AM
    A-Bittersweet-Life
  • Aldowyn

hmm, his example of Demon's Souls as a "great" game reminds me of Heavy Rain. Most people won't really like it, but it advances the industry and innovates. (huh, both on the PS3. I need to get one) And I believe the difference between great and "great" is the difference between a 9 and a 10.

Posted: February 27, 2010 1:34 PM
    Aldowyn
  • ZombieToad

Someone find and punch the cameraman... Please.

Posted: February 26, 2010 11:06 AM
    ZombieToad
  • DarkNessBearX

WOW, could someone explain what the hell was wrong with the Cameramen? Sweet god. You have to watch around minute 28 - he starts randomly zooming in on peoples mouths... was the dude completely high that day?

Posted: February 25, 2010 10:11 PM
    DarkNessBearX
  • Zizen

Wow i couldn't do what David Crane does....Games with out stories have no substance to me....

Posted: February 25, 2010 10:05 PM
    Zizen
  • Gamedude90

Interesting discussion. David Jaffe seemed like an ass.

Posted: February 25, 2010 6:53 PM
    Gamedude90
  • aduecey

I couldn't help but feel that neither of the Davids really cared for Adam.

Posted: February 25, 2010 2:16 PM
    aduecey
  • Watchman

Good stuff.

Posted: February 25, 2010 8:12 AM
    Watchman
  • batmanjokergorden

Always interesting to watch Jaffe in interviews, and now lectures. Tells it like it is.

Pit fall creator Crane was also very good, suprisingly. Both really had me into this interview.

Fantastic videos G4, I leave your website a very happy man every day.

Posted: February 25, 2010 3:56 AM