DICE 2010: Adam Sessler Interviews Richard Garriott

Posted: February 19, 2010
DICE 2010: Adam Sessler Interviews Richard Garriott
We caught up with Lord Garriott during DICE 2010 to find out more about his official return to the gaming industry, his new company and more.

• septembervirgin

If anyone has ever played any of the early games by Garriott, they'll realize that the man knows how to use minimal technology to make a simple game. He's not introducing a new idea, he's actually stating his old views. Akalabeth 2 (Ultima Zero Yet Again) is his conceptual basis for future development. As to most computer games being dumb stories? That's true. Most computer games are composed of stupid stories.

I feel sad that Garriott is fleeing the concept of Edutainment now; it seemed he was partially interested almost after a career of selling vanishing dot games. I see most game designers backing away from Edutainment.

Posted: March 5, 2010 9:02 PM
    septembervirgin
  • Ninja Pwn Star

Ultima online was great back before EA games took over...

bring old uo back...

Posted: February 24, 2010 1:49 AM
    Ninja+Pwn+Star
  • yagamilighto

i want to see earth too and experience many epiphanies. DAMN IT MAN!

Posted: February 22, 2010 4:11 PM
    yagamilighto
  • Bioturn

Now before I used to be like everyone else, thinking Richard Garriot, hey, he's a great guy, generally one of the founding fathers of today's gaming.

But then I read this article: http://gameinformer.com/b/news /archive/2010/02/18/ultima-cre ator-says-games-stories-have-b een-failures.aspx

Go on and read through that article. I'll wait...

Done yet? Good. Now after reading that article, the first thing I thought was, "Dude, shut the frick up about games not having good stories. Look at each and every Final Fantasy game, the Uncharted games, just about any game worth noting that has come out in the past year. If these games have "failures" of stories, than I would just love to play a game that you classify as having a "perfect" story."

Arrogant pile of trash.

Posted: February 22, 2010 9:08 AM
    Bioturn
  • TheFeedMack

so much opinionated info that i choose not to read lol

Posted: February 21, 2010 10:30 PM
    TheFeedMack
  • HausOfGaGA

what...a....douche.

yes because uncharted 2 would be ten times better if i had to log on to facebook and see my freinds trying to chat with me... "NO GuyZ I Iz GAmIN!!1!1!111!!!!"

GOD fricking forbid a fat ass has to get off his ass to play a game.
    ugh.

Posted: February 21, 2010 9:17 AM
    HausOfGaGA
  • bodhisattva

Ultima Online was a work of art. Thanks Garriott for such a great game.

Posted: February 21, 2010 9:07 AM
    bodhisattva
  • BoydofZINJ

@SPL33N you mention:

I dont believe he is saying for the pre-existing audience market. He is talking about the untapped non gaming market. He believes that the non gamers capability to start playing has a large and great fan base that can be as profitability as pre-existing game market. He believes the social media games are going to reel in people who dont normally play video games.

Ever think: I wish my girlfriend would play games with me? Or, I wish this hot girl at work or school would play video games. Imagine that! Imagine a gaming company who is trying to get your girlfriend or hot girl from school and/or work to play video games. Sure these games are "lauching" platform games where they will not be as complicated as the hard games we have. However, most new players would want something easy and accessible.

Let us take a look from a different point of view. Gamers versus Non Gamers. How many Gamers do you think we have versus how many Non Gamers? He has noticed, if I understand correctly, there is a large market of Non Gamers who have not played yet, but who have some inclinations and some desire to play - but have not started to play yet.

The games he keeps mentioning sound like the super casual or the women type games. Games like WOW show us that the casual market can be better than the hardcore market. Most MMO fanatics (like me) considered WoW to EASY and a BORE. Who wants to play an easy and simple game like WoW? Evidently 11.5 million people like WoW. WoW has more subscription than hardcore MMOs like EvE Online, Mortal Online, and Lord of the Rings Online (is LOTRO more Hardcore? yes). I betcha WoW, has more subscriptions than those three MMOs combined!

He is trying to find the new WoW in casual gaming, I take it. For us hardcore gamers... you should be interested if you have friends, or hot women, or girl friends who dont play games with you - because he could reel them in and... once they get hooked, maybe they will start to venture intot he hardcore arena. Imagine that hot woman from work, or from school, asking you advice on how to beat Mass Effect 2. Is that worth helping non gamers into the gaming industry?

Keep in mind, I am partly guessing... but let us face it, in this interview the games he keeps mentioning sound like super casual - women type games. No offense to the hardcore gaming women like Abby. I know a few women who can defeat me in PvP combat in MMOs. My last girlfriend was a woman who defeated me in a PvP combat and I did not realize she was a real life woman. I know this mother who is a fierce PvPer and I almost always lose my duels against her until I yesterday when I came up with a different strategy.

Posted: February 21, 2010 6:54 AM
    BoydofZINJ
  • PCTech714

"...data transfer between an HD-DVD..."

Did this comment get lost in 2008 and is only now arriving?

Posted: February 20, 2010 5:42 AM
    PCTech714
  • Jeespot

Richard seems like a very intelligent businessman as well as a great creative mind, which is a lethal combination. His views on humanity are intriguing but not influential as far as i'm concerned. My only concern, however, is that investing in "social networking gaming" will ultimately end up confined to an information cap. What i mean to say it that all games require a certain amount of data to be transferred, be it graphical, audio, physics, or what have you. Playing a game from a disc allows rapid data transfer between an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and your console, coupled by hardware capacity for calculations. With internet gaming, you're going to be limited by the hardware capacity of the server (which will cost a lot to maintain) and the rate of transfer (Ethernet cables). Both of which are very mediocre for their class. He spoke of improving graphics and interface interactions...I say this only so that he realizes his limitations in the future and that his outlook can be beaten by innovation on the console and PC level. Thats not to say that he can't make money though, which he probably will, which is perfect incentive to disregard what I say. But if he wants to make MORE money, he should at least take it into account.

Posted: February 20, 2010 1:35 AM
    Jeespot
  • CujoSWAoA

Fantastic interview. Buuuuuuuuut. I don't think "Farmville" is that big of a deal in this world. Its free, its well made, its free, its on Facebook and its simple, its cute, and its free.

Thats it. Its not that "big"of a thing.

Posted: February 19, 2010 9:49 PM
    CujoSWAoA
  • bkopp89

sessler shave your head. your hair is disappearing faster and faster everytime i see you.

Posted: February 19, 2010 9:35 PM
    bkopp89
  • mr_groboto

Huh...Not only has 'The' Lord British not a made a good game since the early 90's he's still sporting a rat tail too.

Posted: February 19, 2010 7:16 PM
    mr_groboto
  • SPL33N

So he thinks the gaming industry has to shape itself around ignorance and mediocrity? I wouldn't want to be spoonfed a game that's easily accessible by a 5 year old. Farmville is a glorified crack laced calculator for susceptible children and mental equivalent. All the "free" games end up selling their best content for cash. Games that might require tutorials are the ones that have any depth. With the popularity of today's console gaming the definition of casual gaming has changed. Console AKA the new casual gamers don't play games like Farmville. I don't see social networking improving any of today's major titles. The only genre it would work in is RPG's, and it's already there. Unless your target demographic is under 15, simplifying games is a step backwards when the obvious trend has been towards more complexity.

Posted: February 19, 2010 7:12 PM
    SPL33N
  • HepaTitusK

what's up with Sessler's ear!? I've never noticed that before. holy cow. Yes this interview made me uber excited about the "World of Gaming". But seriously, what is up with Sessler's ear?! Adam Sessler, could you answer this for me por favor? I'm sure it's probably been brought up before, but nontheless, wtf!?

Posted: February 19, 2010 5:39 PM
    HepaTitusK
  • zenmastersamuraimonk

this is the guy who paid his way to go to space right?

Posted: February 19, 2010 5:17 PM