DICE 2010: "How to Explore Your World" Presentation

Posted: February 19, 2010
DICE 2010: "How to Explore Your World" Presentation
When you need to explore your world, there is seriously no one better to help you than an oceanographer. So DICE 2010 enlisted David Gallo, Director of Special Projects Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, to deliver a presenation.

• Samthorian

Wow, this is incredible. I bet if we manage to fully explore and understand the ocean, we would be able to learn more about other planets a lot easier. Water in water so crazy, yet so fascinating.

Posted: February 25, 2010 7:29 PM
    Samthorian
  • swtsvn

Amazing exploration. The researchers daily risk their lives in order to aid better future, especially the ones who go underwater to observe nature. I have one simple Q though. How come they figured only 3% is explored, if the ocean is vast and unknown mysteries exist? I was under the impression than without knowing what 100% percent is, it is difficult to mathematically be specific about the 3%. It would be interesting to know how they had finalized this little calculation.

Posted: February 22, 2010 10:08 AM
    swtsvn
  • A-Bittersweet-Life

Wow, this has been a very interesting presentation. I totally agree on having a new eye on the same issues rather than just abandoning them and looking for something new. This is happening now with games splicing different genres together such as Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and Borderlands. I see and played a genre, 2d platformer, as old as gaming itself but new gameplay mechanics make it seem totally new.

Posted: February 21, 2010 11:46 AM
    A-Bittersweet-Life
  • Reign90

lol, even his laptop is blue, like water ^_^

Huh, the "puddle in the ocean" thing didn't really seem that shocking to me. The idea that anything at that pressure forms into a different kind of substance and would act differently seems normal. However the "underwater waterfall" is just bizarre, I suppose its a downward current, after all, he called currents "rivers". The underwater earthquakes arn't surprising, it's how the earth creates new land and crust, because it's constantly expanding and turning in on itself.

Ah the TItanic...I remember seeing the exhibit in Atlanta, GA about the artifacts. It was truly amazing, to see the debris and information. I remember a picture of the ocean floor with dishes set perfectly in order, undisturbed. And upon entering, they gave each of us a card of a person who was on the voyage, info about their lodgings, name, jobs, family, etc. "Sir Cosmo Edmund Duff" was mine, he, his wife and servant lived. The rest of my family's people weren't so lucky.

The shots of the deep sea fish were beautiful, truly a mystery of nature and awe inspiring. And the octopus's ability to change and adapt is astonishing. I watched that clip of it popping out of the bush about 8 times

It's reasons like this why I think games such as Endless Ocean, or a game about "Planet Earth" series are special and have such potential.
    97% unexplored....magnificent..... : )

Posted: February 20, 2010 6:15 PM
    Reign90
  • greeknerd

That video is so awesome that I can't explain how good it is in one sentence.

Posted: February 20, 2010 5:58 AM
    greeknerd
  • skinjob

I like this.

Posted: February 20, 2010 3:22 AM
    skinjob
  • doctheory

That was really cool. Earthbrowser is a great site, as is Roger Hanlon's site. Word for the wise though, he pins the wrong website for Roger... I found out the hard way that mbl.org is for "mouse brain library" And as interesting as mice MRIs are, go to the real site mbl.edu & navigate to Hanlon's site, cool stuff.

Posted: February 19, 2010 7:46 PM
    doctheory
  • christof_

Wow.

Posted: February 19, 2010 6:31 PM
    christof_
  • JGaskill

"Underwater waterfall" = headsplode. Another surprisingly fascinating presentation.

Posted: February 19, 2010 5:04 PM
    JGaskill
  • Okonoko

Yeah, this was a fun panel to watch. Reminded me of Kojima's approach to designing Metal Gear Solid. It also made me want to watch The Life Aquatic again.

Posted: February 19, 2010 12:54 PM
    Okonoko
  • greeknerd

Is he about to go mining?

Posted: February 19, 2010 12:46 PM
    greeknerd
  • DanRisen

I know there isnt exactly a direct connection with his presentation to videogames but i love the fact that it will definitely get some of the developers thinking a little bit, which i guess is what DICE is all about. Great presentation and octopuses ftw

Posted: February 19, 2010 12:38 PM