Free Speech, Gaming and You: DICE 2010 1st Amendment Speech

Posted: February 18, 2010
Free Speech, Gaming and You: DICE 2010 1st Amendment Speech
If you are as fascinated as I am with first amendment law as it relates to video games, then you definitely owe it to yourself to check out the following DICE 2010 presentation by ESA senior vice president and general counsel Ken Doroshow.

• rGrayMiller

Have been trying to comment for the last 30 minutes but it keeps telling me to "not use profanity". The kicker? I wasn't - couldn't even find a hidden curse word in either of my two sentences.

Anyways, great video :P

Posted: February 22, 2010 11:45 AM
    rGrayMiller
  • disintegrator

It just so happens that I loved my college law classes, so this was right up my alley. Great presentation Mr. Doroshow, I'm joining VGVA.

Posted: February 20, 2010 2:40 PM
    disintegrator
  • A-Bittersweet-Life

ESA: The unsung heroes.

Posted: February 20, 2010 3:26 AM
    A-Bittersweet-Life
  • IamtheBat

He was right, sounded very much like a College Law Class, but a very unique and wanted presentation, I never expected to see something like this, even though I always wondered about video game and consumer electronics law.

Posted: February 19, 2010 10:18 PM
    IamtheBat
  • dripgoss

good presentation I know these govt guys are trying to hip up a bit, so good first step

Posted: February 19, 2010 11:38 AM
    dripgoss
  • Lucifer6972

The way I see it, every developer, publisher, writer, etc do have freedom of speech when it comes to implementing their own ideas and solutions. Even if it means being argumental and debatable but this is America, we all know the franchises(the biggest ones) all have their own stance and idea regarding how well they suit with their audience. Just like Rockstar and the release of GTA, it was controversial but is their choice, just like is your damn choice when it comes to making a comment or opinion, if you don't like it, oh well, ban me!

For the record, every major franchise in the world is in fact protected by the Bill of Rights, well, not everybody in the world but mostly in our country so they are entitled to their own ideas. The feedback that is received and used will be to determine whether it attarcts the mainstream audience or not. Pretty much every study or protocol is done like this, even medicine or health pills for that matter.

But then again, no one likes a suck and boring game so we expect the best they got, we like to think each franchise does take it take to advantage and use it as an expertise later on when games are fully use of their potential.

Is just like the entertainment industry, not a big fan and never was but they are protected by their first Amendment and other special industries as well. Is their money, private or not, so they are entitled, the same thing applies to the videogame industry, nothing much else of a secret.

Posted: February 19, 2010 9:55 AM
    Lucifer6972
  • German_Agent

How do you think I feel that Oklahoma did what the other 9 states did and lost the fight as well had to pay their fee just because the idiots that make the laws can tell us who to live are lives.

I should be in jail for life with all the video games that I've have in my house. Trust me I got a lot.

Posted: February 19, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Harbinger2nd

Do the politicians who keep spamming these laws all over the country figure that they have to get at least one sometime?

Posted: February 19, 2010 2:54 AM
    Harbinger2nd
  • Lance20000

Most of these presentations have been well worth it. I do hope next yeat we get more of dice.

Posted: February 19, 2010 2:45 AM
    Lance20000
  • furiousgeorge

That was a great presentation. It's nice to see something once in a while about how the industry works and the rights it's trying to protect. I'm glad that stupid law didn't pass here in Utah. I'm going to go sign up for the video game voters network now.

Posted: February 18, 2010 11:46 PM
    furiousgeorge
  • Fulldemon0716

I felt like i learn something at least more then i did in my actual Law class
    (Salutes Public School Systems)

I thought companies had the same free expression as people now after over-ruling that like 100-old...Ruling?

then again i suppose that doesn't apply to the that territory of unprotected speech like "yelling fire in a crowded theater"

Hopefully Australia will get to play games with all the blood, gore, and Naughty* content we take for granted here in the good ol' US of A.

*Ironically this site wouldn't allow me to post the word i wanted to use that rhymes hex

Posted: February 18, 2010 10:06 PM
  • slimmer

What I don't get is that most video gamers (most definitely the ones buying them) are adults now so the laws should be no different than any other art.

Posted: February 18, 2010 9:45 PM
    slimmer
  • DanRisen

This was a great presentation. I'm very glad to see someone like him who obviously not only has a tremendous respect for the constitution and our rights, but also video games as an art form. I'm glad that he is behind the protection of this industry and its creative license and once I able to join the video game voters network i will indeed do so.
    Keep bringing the great footage G4!

Posted: February 18, 2010 8:03 PM
    DanRisen
  • SilverJC

This is very interesting article, good for users that are interested to get in the developing industry. Alsa for some of us that want to understand more deeper in the subject of video games and laws that tries to litigate them.

Posted: February 18, 2010 7:32 PM