DICE 2010: Naughty Dog Presentation

Posted: February 18, 2010
DICE 2010: Naughty Dog Presentation
Santa Monica, CA - based game studio Naughty Dog sends Lead Designer Richard Lemarchand to DICE 2010 to discuss the successful working environment they've established to help create works of art like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

• CarlosTheDon

As an upcoming HR (Human Resource Manager) you helped me.

Posted: February 11, 2011 7:05 AM
    CarlosTheDon
  • ps3allday95

you no what, naughty dog did a SUPERB job on the online for among thieves, it is amazing, i just bought bad comapany 2, and god of war, and i put those games off to play online uncharted, same with killzone 2

Posted: March 18, 2010 3:42 PM
    ps3allday95
  • ps3allday95

uncharted 2 is my favorite game of all time, and crash bandicoot is my favorite childhood game especially crash team racing

Posted: March 18, 2010 3:30 PM
    ps3allday95
  • LogicalError

Sounds like a really nice place to work

Posted: February 22, 2010 2:29 AM
    LogicalError
  • A-Bittersweet-Life

Naughty Dog walks the walk.

Posted: February 20, 2010 2:20 PM
    A-Bittersweet-Life
  • 7Hokage

Naughty dog is a beast!!! From Crash Bandicoot to Jak and Daxter, and now Uncharted. ND is very, very!! Generous to sharing their tips on how a great game companied design a great game. As a gamer I respect all game designers and producers; however, as a game design at heart I give much respect to ND. PS @ FeximusMaximus & Busymandan if U are not going 2 watch the video, which U clearly didn't. Don't give a comment. Morons!!!

Posted: February 20, 2010 12:37 AM
    7Hokage
  • p2ka

is jak and daxter making a come back to the ps3

Posted: February 19, 2010 7:24 PM
    p2ka
  • RandyMercer

Very Nice video, I enjoy ND's work and the fact that are sharing tips on how to be more successful is very generous on their part. oh and @ Busymandan and FeximusMaximus Uncharted 2 works fine to me I really don't feel a difference unfortunately camping is virtually inevitable but it's not as bad as MW2.

Posted: February 19, 2010 12:29 PM
    RandyMercer
  • adamistheman

This was a very interesting video. I like how open they are during game design and how there team is very interconnected to make the responsibility on the designers and not on some producer.

Posted: February 19, 2010 8:56 AM
    adamistheman
  • doctheory

Great speech. Very cool to see the breakdown of their operations. I'm pure gamer, not a developer/design bone in my body, but it was cool to see them on g4 GOTY, then feedback, & now DICE.
    Just one thing though... Lose the seat-of-the-pants joke at the end ;-)

Posted: February 19, 2010 8:18 AM
    doctheory
  • x-chicken

Looks like their process is working for them, you can t argue against their success. I loved uncharted 1 and uncharted 2, a great developer, keep up the good work.

Posted: February 18, 2010 5:57 PM
    x-chicken
  • FeximusMaximus

Actually I did. So they were extremely detailed in their planing process. Clearly they benefited from that. Awesome. They have great staff communication and you could have determined that from the videos you bought with your in game single player dollars. I also might add that I personally found those videos were a bit more informative than the topics in this presentation. I loved the game, even more than the first one(saying a lot). I was merely stating that based on the the changes that have been instituted since the games release, have, for the most part damaged a once stellar experience. The Update came out monday and so far, many players have expressed an extreme disliking for it (57% of the polled community were against making a wholesale change). Since this has not been addressed here on G4 as of yet, I felt compelled to address it now. Anyway I'll pose this question: Do you feel that that making drastic changes to a beloved online component so far after a games release generally prove to be a wise decision? And if not, should the player community voice even matter?

Posted: February 18, 2010 5:45 PM
    FeximusMaximus
  • faithfracture

Naughty Dog rules. This was a rad presentation too. I'd love to work for these guys. Uncharted 2 was amazing too.

Posted: February 18, 2010 4:43 PM
    faithfracture
  • djs2477

Naughty Dog is one of the best game companies. All of their franchises have been great, Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, and now Uncharted

Posted: February 18, 2010 4:06 PM
    djs2477
  • bucherbag

@busymandan & feximus you clearly didn't watch the video, just saw "naughty dog" and slapped your gripe with the game on it, morons. And Mr. Gaskill you were right that was pretty great. Im very much serious about game development and It's really interesting to see a producer coincide with this type of mentality when it comes to game production. I read an article that Cliff Bleszinski wrote a year or 2 ago and he was talking about some of the same general things when it came to trusting your designers and how important it was to be open to constructive criticism and hearing it face to face. Im glad to see that Naughty dog is putting all these ideas into practice in their game production, especially when they're able to show results with their stellar games

Posted: February 18, 2010 3:47 PM
    bucherbag
  • Busymandan

I totally argee with FeximusMaximus. They took a great game and made it a camp fest just like COD

Posted: February 18, 2010 3:11 PM
    Busymandan
  • FeximusMaximus

Won't pick up another Naughty dog game. Update 1.05 is a prime example of p!ss!ng in you own punch bowl.

Posted: February 18, 2010 2:49 PM