Supreme Commander 2 Preview

Posted: January 27, 2010
Supreme Commander 2 Preview
Chris Taylor, Creative Director for Gas Powered Games, gives you a preview of the upcoming multiplatform game Supreme Commander 2. Learn about the game's new environments, improved AI and the game's storyline in this preview of Supreme Commander 2.

• dfalken

Don't buy this expecting it to be a step forward from the original. It's got some invations, but that are overshadowed by all the things they did wrong. For instance, bombers can no longer carpet bomb. Your bombs all fly right into one unit at a time. Factories will automatically pause when you run out of resources...but not restart on their own. Mass/energy conversion buildings now require you to click on them and intiate a conversion to get resources. All the cool defensive buildings are gone. Now you've got two or three turret types. All factions shields are identical. Shields are extra weak... Speaking of weak, the ACU is paper mache. A half dozen tier one tanks can take it down now. Isn't that fun? Maps look good, but there is only a short list to choose from...and only few have water. The models look great, but they have really low tech looking textures. Gone are the shiny, metalic looks of the original.

I'm so distraught that I'm changing my purchasing habits. I've alrays just jumped on sequals to titles I loved. Pre-ordered them without much research. No more.... Especially for cross-platform releases. If this is how the industry is going, making titles cross-platform by writing them for the least of systems, then I'm done with them. What happened to making it run on the higher end platforms and "dumbing it down" during the porting process for the weaker platforms?

Bah... Chris, you disappoint.... This feels like a cash in.

Posted: March 3, 2010 7:20 AM
    dfalken
  • Brawler Pup

You know, this is probably the one game that I would ENJOY MOST, since I enjoyed Chris Taylor's Total Annihilation (and I still too!). I doubt this upcoming game will dissatisfy me. Too bad the wait took a while for a game like this to come out. (My friends tell me how awesome other RTS games were, but they were not to my tastes of strategy.) I hope to buy this when it comes out!

Posted: February 24, 2010 4:35 PM
    Brawler+Pup
  • kyama

well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out supcom2 will come out first. Specially, since they already told us the release date.

Posted: February 5, 2010 8:29 PM
    kyama
  • ForgottenRotten

$10 says that we'll play this before we play Starcraft 2.

Posted: February 1, 2010 5:03 PM
    ForgottenRotten
  • mare-chan

ITS GOOD

Posted: February 1, 2010 12:40 PM
    mare-chan
  • Acclamator

This is looking to be another great strategy game from Chris Taylor! Really looking forward to it. The new A.I. sounds awesome!

Posted: January 31, 2010 8:39 PM
    Acclamator
  • Preolt

This looks really good the real decider though over wether or not this or starcraft 2 will be recognized as the 1# RTS will be their release dates. Blizzards are always up in the air but if this can put down a solid one and get out before blizzard I thin kit will make it big.

Posted: January 29, 2010 8:40 PM
    Preolt
  • Resist_4_Ever

Please God make this good.

Posted: January 29, 2010 6:23 PM
    Resist_4_Ever
  • Shadowskill11

I freaking love the Supreme Commander series. It is my all time favorite RTS series followed by StarCraft and Homeworld.

Posted: January 28, 2010 6:13 PM
    Shadowskill11
  • hoof_hearted4

i might have to look into this game. ive heard good things about this series. although C&C4 is coming out in the same month so this game will have to wait until after, and with mass effect 2 taking up my time when im able to get it and plenty of PS3 games to get, i might not get to this until mid summer!

Posted: January 28, 2010 5:15 PM
    hoof_hearted4
  • Spybreak

The first one just went on and on for too long, time for a typical mission, plus there were no autosaved checkpoints as your perspective was broadened and your map was expanded. This looks promising and highly inspired off of Demigod!?

Posted: January 27, 2010 9:58 PM