X-Play Interviews James Cameron About Avatar

Posted: January 11, 2010
X-Play Interviews James Cameron About Avatar
James Cameron, director of Avatar, talks to G4tv.com's Patrick Klepek about his film, Avatar: The Video Game and how he feels about Halo Fanboys saying that one of his earlier movies, Aliens, ripped off the Halo Universe. Spoiler Alert: Aliens was first.

• silva117

Sorry James Cameron you may be a great director and have a great movie but Halo was not inspired by aliens, it was inspired by Marathon another orginal IP that Bungie created. Those vechiles in Avatar look alot like the vechiles in Halo and Halo Wars. So seeing that all te Halo Games to date have been released before Avatar those ideas are orginally property of Bungie and Microsoft. Just because you an influencal director doesnt give you any right to rip down someone else IP. Halos been in pop culture longer than Avatar your trying to get it noticed. I played the Avatar game, its alright but there way more games I'd rather play than Avatar.

Posted: January 20, 2010 5:16 PM
    silva117
  • Dudimus24

Saw Cameron on a TMZ video, he's kind of a douche bag off stage, but then again who isn't in hollywood? Anyways, licensed games suck, and Avatar was way overrated.

Posted: January 17, 2010 2:28 PM
    Dudimus24
  • capthavic

I haven't played the game or seen the movie (sorry just didn't interest me) but it does look only mediocre at best.

BTW I heard the game is a prequel, but from what I understand the premise is exactly the same as in the movie. So how do they tie together?

Posted: January 17, 2010 2:09 PM
    capthavic
  • sewageking

It's too bad that he wants to put some of his ideas into video games. Not that his ideas will be bad, but there is no way he knows enough about video games to be able to turn a good idea into a good game. Making a movie is very different than making a game, and to excel at either one requires two very different skill sets. There are lots of things to take into consideration when making a game that have no place in a movie. The point is that James Cameron's has a lot of good ideas which could be turned into great movies, but will more likely than not become mediocre games.

Posted: January 17, 2010 12:28 PM
    sewageking
  • TriforcePlayer

The Movie was a cinematic monster with a garbage story. Felt like I've seen their stupid plot in an old saturday morning cartoon. Also a crap game with 3-D crap. A ducks a duck 3d or not. Sorry Cameron, get off Al Gore's lap and make a real actioin movie. Hey Cameron Halo is and always will be better than anything you'll ever come up with you piece of trash wrapped in tin foil

Posted: January 16, 2010 6:55 PM
    TriforcePlayer
  • grny

the game looks good i wana get it!

Posted: January 14, 2010 3:16 PM
    grny
  • deleted_7879907C-2233-4907-B47E-4CBFEDDBB28D

Hi, Here's how to get yourself a free PS3, iPod, wii or even cash!. Just go to - urfreegifts.com It's FREE and has been� researched by the BBC to be absolutely genuine. Simply� go to the site and select the gift you would like or� cash if you prefer. For full info and proof its real� just go to urfreegifts.com

Posted: January 14, 2010 12:36 PM
    deleted_7879907C-2233-4907-B47E-4CBFEDDBB28D
  • GHETOyeti

What r u people tyalking about? He's the guy who came up with this genre of Sci-fi stuff. He's the man who friggin' INVENTED Space Marines

Posted: January 14, 2010 12:07 PM
    GHETOyeti
  • Flight_Eagle

I think i'm a little like lizard64 in the fact that a game must be "completely broken and devoid of any value for it to suck to me"... yeah, i think so. There are games that don't appeal to me, or some i can't play, but that doesn't mean they suck.

I think i'll rent the game, see how it is.

Posted: January 12, 2010 10:55 PM
    Flight_Eagle
  • Fex_Anderson

Aliens is one of the core movies that shaped my childhood. Halo, in my opinion, doesn't even really deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Posted: January 12, 2010 5:34 PM
    Fex_Anderson
  • Onikoga

Amen

Posted: January 12, 2010 5:09 PM
    Onikoga
  • Deathinflames

That was a cool interview (clip) with James Cameron. Even if the game didn't work out (I haven't played it, and can't judge one way or the other), you can't deny the guy props for his epic vision. That anybody would say that he ripped off Halo, though, is one of the more amusing ironies Ive heard in awhile. Ha.

Posted: January 12, 2010 1:46 PM
    Deathinflames
  • barker922

i really enjoyed seeing patrick on x-play. i hope there is more of that in 2010.

Posted: January 12, 2010 12:00 PM
    barker922
  • pmc_soap

i wish james cameron made a halo movie

Posted: January 11, 2010 10:46 PM
    pmc_soap
  • lizard64

The game really isnt that bad. im a gaming enthusiast though. A game has to be completely broken and devoid of any value for it to suck to me. Kinda like Haze. But anyways, it really isnt bad. I mean James kinda exaggerated the whole choose to play part way thing. about a half-hour into the game, your given the choice to go Nav'vi or RDA. thats it. Overall, the game is worth the $40 i paid because of its gameplay and longevity. I wish the story couldve been more involving and the gameplay more elaborate. It deserves more credit. the game couldve been WAAAY worse. In a gaming world where E.T cursed most movie-licensed games into complete sucktitude, at least this one kinda stands out just like X-MEn Origins Wolverine and Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. It may not be all that great, but if you have the avatar game, your looking at something pretty descent.

Posted: January 11, 2010 8:26 PM
    lizard64
  • pklepek

The actual interview was nearly 20 minutes long. I'm hopeful the rest of it will show up on G4tv.com eventually. I'd only played an hour or so of the game when I had the chance to interview Cameron, so it would have been odd to comment on anything other than the gameplay duality and "well, I wish I could try playing it in 3D." Avatar: The Game isn't awful, it's just terribly mediocre.

Posted: January 11, 2010 7:22 PM
    pklepek
  • Spybreak

Well maybe if they gave the second part of the game a bit more excitement or new toys to play with.

Posted: January 11, 2010 7:00 PM
    Spybreak
  • BohemianHero

I don't think I have heard anyone bash Avatar for looking too much like Halo. James appears to be suffering from a case of paranoia.

Either way, it's great that G4 got an interview with Cameron. However, I really hope he continues to pursue movies and not the gaming industry. The man is a cinematic genius, thus I would much rather like to see his time devoted to cranking out more amazing films.

Posted: January 11, 2010 6:54 PM
    BohemianHero
  • jungleman67

graphics are amazing. want to see more games like that. i think it goes beyond uncharted 2

Posted: January 11, 2010 6:44 PM
    jungleman67
  • barker922

i'm pretty sure that patrick cannot reveal what his 'true feelings' are while interview cameron. he is giving respect to cameron, not necessarily to the game.

btw, i wonder if patrick got his copy of fern gully signed by cameron! LOL!

Posted: January 11, 2010 6:31 PM