The Pro vs. Cons of Avatar

Posted: January 4, 2010
The Pro vs. Cons of Avatar

With James Cameron's Avatar hitting the one billion dollar mark this week, Chris Hardwick talks to Devin Faraci from CHUD.com and David Poland from The Hot Blog about whether this groundbreaking film deserves its box office success. Deserved success or not, it has set a milestone that might never be surpassed.

• amzo

I'M TALKING ABOUT DINOSAURS DAMMIT!!! it was unexpected & I laughed my ass off for hours!!!
    It felt like watching an episode of Simpons. ^^

Posted: February 24, 2010 10:19 AM
    amzo
  • CRaftsman1459

Weeeellll...personally...I thought Avatar was/is the greatest thing ever. Anyway...

Posted: January 26, 2010 7:22 PM
    CRaftsman1459
  • scorpian876

I think Tron 2 the return will make more than Avatar,it might make
    more because there is so many people that liked the first Tron
    movie they wanted a second movie.

Posted: January 11, 2010 1:38 PM
    scorpian876
  • Rsandoval723

Damn it! All movies have rehashed stories. Name a movie and i'll say that ish is rehashed. Avatar was an amazing movie and it kept me at the edge of my seat the whole ride. I'd rather watch Avatar than an "original" best picture; Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, and the Departed. But all this arguing is futile because Pride and Prejudice is still de BEST MOVIE EVER.

Posted: January 7, 2010 4:51 PM
    Rsandoval723
  • loonypalooza

eh, special effects were good but the story was done before, BRAVEHEART anyone?

Posted: January 6, 2010 2:00 PM
    loonypalooza
  • Fex_Anderson

I thought over-rated is a good term for this movie. The story was so cliche... I was actually thinking about Dances With Wolves while I was watching it, so, I hear Devin. It's not bad... It looks pretty. But I was dissapointed after District 9 when they took a black-and-white morality approach to the aliens. District 9 was innovative because not all of the aliens were good and not all of the aliens were bad. Not all of the aliens were wiser than the humans, either, but some of them were. I feel that in the future any movie that takes this black-and-white approach with the aliens will be a dissapointment for me.

Posted: January 5, 2010 11:52 PM
    Fex_Anderson
  • outlawstar00000

I loved this movie its the only movie I've ever seen to make me feel every emotion in existence all at once. Here is my biggest problem with critics if a movie is similar to another all they do is talk about the relationship between them and the word "ripoff" is used a lot. I mean people will make such a big deal on how this is similar to "dances with wolves"(yes I have seen this movie) they will give it a bad review just because of that. I say if people enjoy the movie then that's good don't tell the it sucked and it doesn't deserve all the money it's getting. When I watch a movie I don't try to compare it to something else I just sit back and enjoy it. I loved this movie and it is definitely the best movie I've ever seen(I didn't decide this just after I got out of the theater I actually did some thinking about every other movie I've seen and this one is my favorite). I doesn't matter how much you say avatar (or me) is a load of crap it will always be my favorite movie and please respect my opinion and I will respect yours if you didn't like it that's cool with me, but don't try to change my opinion.

Posted: January 5, 2010 9:07 PM
    outlawstar00000
  • pieguy117

I think all this guys foundering boils down to is "I don't like Avatar". And who is that guy to dump on Fincher? He made Fight Club!

Posted: January 5, 2010 7:20 PM
    pieguy117
  • rerat

Uh, sorry dude, I don't see this winning best picture. I haven't seen it yet, but with the movies it has to compete with it's going to be difficult. Just because James Cameron made this visually stunning film doesn't give it special treatment. From what I've heard, the story line isn't amazing and it's predictable, best picture has usually gone to a movie with great everything. Sorry James Cameron, just stick with your closet full of Titanic oscars.

Posted: January 5, 2010 6:45 PM
    rerat
  • rgs10

this movie has stunning visuals, especially in 3D. However, with an incredibly predictable and seemingly corny storyline, there is no way in hell this will win the oscar

Posted: January 5, 2010 6:10 PM
    rgs10
  • dantastic4

I real love it when people nowdays pick apart movies and say their not original.Star Wars a good vs evil story with a damsil in distress.Like that story has'nt been told over a hundred times in medievil fantasy books and movies.Matrix that story has existed for years in scfi-novels and dozens of countless Anime.King Kong man vs beast wow how many times has that story been done to death.The point is people don't always go to see original arthouse films but go to see films that entertain.If the movie has a great entertainment value that more than makes up for it not being greatly original.Instead of picking apart films like Avatar why not pick apart the fact that most people don't go to see their highly prasied arthouse films.

Posted: January 5, 2010 5:50 PM
    dantastic4
  • AngelsandDemons

Wow...I didn't watch this in 3D, but I found the film easily forgettable. And, I'm a JC fan. He handled the battles well. I'd love to see him render Transformers....or....you guessed it....give him Robotech.

Posted: January 5, 2010 4:13 PM
    AngelsandDemons
  • BENEFIELDAVON

Anybody who talks "crap" about this movie is a big loser!

Posted: January 5, 2010 3:55 PM
    BENEFIELDAVON
  • jim_reed

Come on, it's only a god damn movie! And to top it all off, it probably had to hit 1 billion just to break even! I say thank god they made their money back.

Posted: January 5, 2010 3:32 PM
    jim_reed
  • Androo53095

Im not gona say wether I hated the movie or not but it seemed just too predictable. "Only a choosen one can ride the giant flying monster." hmm... what does jake Sully do? "We will try to transfer her mind into the Navee body" hmm... What does Jake Sully do. I could go on.

Posted: January 5, 2010 3:09 PM
    Androo53095
  • Brick69

The story wasn't bad, but the CG and it being in 3D definitely played a part in the $1.1 billion.

If your complaining that this movie is to much like something else, don't forget that the basis of almost all movies is from another story. Even the cult classic Fight Club is heavily based of the book Demian.

Posted: January 5, 2010 2:55 PM
    Brick69
  • GHETOyeti

The movie is amazing. Its a perfect blend of all the stories.
    IT...IS...AMAZING

Posted: January 5, 2010 2:39 PM
    GHETOyeti
  • trivex3d1

Camazing - Thanks a bunch. Gonna Netflix

Posted: January 5, 2010 2:28 PM
    trivex3d1
  • Mancer1516

The story was fairly predictable, western civilization is bad and the more nature loving civilization is good, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway the sequel is going to be how the earth man teaches the Navi about casinos.

Though the bottom line is this was a bad movie, but I liked it.

Posted: January 5, 2010 1:54 PM