Feedback -- Past Decade Retrospective Edition

Posted: December 24, 2009
Feedback -- Past Decade Retrospective Edition
Adam Sessler and the Feedback crew of Abbie Heppe, Patrick Klepek and Santa Rob Manuel run down the highs of the past ten years in gaming.

• deleted_D32463F9-99E8-4442-BE92-8EBA65082B17

Hi, Here's how to get yourself a free PS3, iPod, wii or even cash!. Just go to - urfreegiftscom It's FREE and has been� researched by the BBC to be absolutely genuine. Simply� go to the site and select the gift you would like or� cash if you prefer. For full info and proof its real� just go to urfreegiftscom

Posted: March 24, 2010 8:34 AM
    deleted_D32463F9-99E8-4442-BE92-8EBA65082B17
  • SeanTheArtist

very cool and i enjoyed it. this was the first one i've watched. Oh, and Holy crap, is Abbie pretty! And nerdy and kinda awesome.

Posted: January 4, 2010 6:51 PM
    SeanTheArtist
  • Zig-Zag!

There are a few obvious omissions...though I get the feeling the Feedback group would just as easily talk for hours about each individual game if given the chance.

I must echo the sentiments for Metroid Prime. That game, for me, was the game of the decade.

Other notable games not mentioned or fleshed out by the crew that I can't help but mention...

Eternal Darkness
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Bioshock
    Half Life 2
    Portal
    KOTAR
    Mass Effect
    Majora's Mask
    Okami

Other important games that were hugely culturally significant this decade:

Guitar Hero
    Wii Sports
    Rez
    Madden
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2
    Wind Waker
    Rock Band
    Pokemon Gold/Silver
    Halo 3
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted: January 1, 2010 8:18 PM
    Zig-Zag!
  • 1nitial_D

awesome job on the podcast

I love it

Posted: January 1, 2010 1:30 PM
    1nitial_D
  • JDarkley

My favorite game of the decade (and probably of all time, at that) would be Deus Ex. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't mention Guitar Hero or GTA.

Posted: December 31, 2009 7:02 PM
    JDarkley
  • GiHubb

No mention of Sly Cooper?? Adam, I'm disappointed and surprised!!

Posted: December 31, 2009 6:13 PM
    GiHubb
  • EmbryonicGod

I agreed with the one guy that said that Fallout 3 gave him too many choices that distracted from main quest. I nevr finished it b/c of this

Posted: December 31, 2009 10:06 AM
    EmbryonicGod
  • Highdefinition

I had no idea you got a house in Fall Out 3, i used to swap gear I couldnt carry onto the corpses of bandits that I killed or on the shelves of the wrecked houses you past in the wasteland, damn you feedback you literally blow my perspective of Fallout 3 completely out of the water.

Also as a comment to the rise of charachter customization I am more infavor of the ones that let you customize more than just cosmetic features, I never make myself in video games I generally pick a role I want that charachter to be and make him/her that. When I played Mass Effect I made shepard look like clint eastwood as Eddi Mony and went about that game responding to scenarios the way that charachter would and not nesscarily the way I wanted the story to progress, I actually let the charachter that I prefered in the game to die because thats how Eastwood would have played it out.

Posted: December 30, 2009 1:52 PM
    Highdefinition
  • devils264fan

Thank you to the people how gives thumbs up or thumbs down to the long comments post cause i dont have time to read the really long ones if i see a high plus number i know to read it. Thank you!

Posted: December 30, 2009 10:18 AM
    devils264fan
  • DragonRider6

I love psyconauts so much! Thanx for talking about it.
    But you guys never talked about the fishes mind. I love that one.

@hunterkiller101 Yea I totally agree. Half Life FTW

Posted: December 30, 2009 8:09 AM
    DragonRider6
  • RandomGuy1052

Brutal legend
    Nuff' said

Posted: December 30, 2009 3:47 AM
    RandomGuy1052
  • outoffeelinsobad

I play Deus Ex at least once a year. Still blows my mind when terrorists talk to me about the Trilateral Commission and Eastern despotism vs. Western democracy. And there's a homeless guy in Battery Park that sings My Country 'Tis of Thee. Tugs the heartstrings every time I see him.

Posted: December 24, 2009 6:40 PM
    outoffeelinsobad
  • TheWarhamster

speaking of fallout, anyone else think that the license would make a terrible MMO, given the isolation that all 3 games push on you? (sure you can have NPC characters follow you around but it really detracts from the experience).

Posted: December 24, 2009 6:12 PM
    TheWarhamster
  • spacemonkey086

I finally got around to trying Deus Ex and wow I couldn't play it. It just seemed way too outdated, despite how good it may have been way back when.

Im torn between Fallout3 and Grand Theft Auto as GOTD. I guess GTA would be my franchise of the decade. Also when ps2 was yet to be released I think Metal Gear Solid 2 was my most anticipated game in recent memory. I remember downloading the trailer from gamespot and it took like the entire day and was so worth it. The game didn't quite live up to the hype with the whole Raiden surprise but it was still epic. My sleeper of the decade that I think will come to be influential was Red Faction. I didn't have xbox or play on pc so i would gather friends and have bot matches endlessly. And the main reason has to be the destructible environments. I think with current technology, its finally catching on with games like Red Faction 3, Mercs 2, and Bad company being relased. Graphics are finally starting to be photo realistic, and graphics engines may be defined not by texture but by physics in the future.

Posted: December 24, 2009 6:04 PM
    spacemonkey086
  • fezzthemonk

One of the best games this decade was Jet Set Radio Future. The art style and game play are extremely memorable. The is also the official soundtrack of my life!

Posted: December 24, 2009 5:29 PM
    fezzthemonk
  • XGamerXKing

I absolutely agree with Adam and the others in FeedBack. I especially agree more when they mentioned how u can tell the story of a game without "spoon-feeding" the info.

Posted: December 24, 2009 5:27 PM
    XGamerXKing
  • dormouse

Thanks Feedback team for taking the time out of your holidays to give us this decade in review! You guys mentioned a lot of games that I loved and some that I still need to play. I think it's great how you draw attention to some of the smaller titles that are just such wonderful pieces of art that many people (myself included) may not even know about.

I would agree with a lot of the people who have commented that Mass Effect is probably my favorite game of this decade. It was the first time where I actually put the controller down and had to really think about what decision I was going to make and the consequences of that choice. While I love games like Halo and Fallout 3, the emotional resonance of Mass Effect was just incredible to me, and I absolutely cannot wait until the end of January when I can get my copy of ME2!

Another game from 2000 that I really loved was American Mcgee's Alice. The gameplay mechanics and level design were somewhat generic for a platformer, but I love Alice in Wonderland and the dark story and characters that they created were just awesome to me. And the psychologist's journal that came with it was a really nice touch.

I hope that your predictions for the future of the gaming industry pan out. I especially like the personalization that we are starting to see in games. As a female gamer, there was a time not so long ago when protagonists that looked like me were few and far between, so it is SO nice to be able to customize a character that I feel is more a representation of myself.

Thanks G4, and Happy Holidays!

Posted: December 24, 2009 5:02 PM
    dormouse
  • FatMaNwAntCaNdy1

And GTA

Posted: December 24, 2009 4:59 PM
    FatMaNwAntCaNdy1
  • FatMaNwAntCaNdy1

Kotor,Halo,KH,MP,Fallout3,SoC, ME,LoZ,RE4,CoD,and MGS those are my games of the decade.

Posted: December 24, 2009 4:57 PM
    FatMaNwAntCaNdy1
  • theLocust1313

In spite of rehash sequels, Katamari Damacy is an all time favorite. Short but with replay value, music that is obnoxious yet alluring, charmingly incoherent story, innovative concept, and counter-intuitive but oddly natural controls. People still look at me like I'm insane when I try to answer the question "what's it about?" using one sentence or several.

Posted: December 24, 2009 4:20 PM