Sessler's Soapbox: Game of the Year Edition

Posted: December 9, 2009
Sessler's Soapbox: Game of the Year Edition
Adam explains how this year's Game of the Year nominees were determined, and why he thinks they're all worth playing.

• Badfug

Oh and my top five games of the year...
    1) Uncharted 2
    2) Borderlands
    3) Infamous
    4) Left 4 dead 2
    5) The God of War 3 demo!

Posted: December 14, 2009 7:44 AM
    Badfug
  • Badfug

I like top 5's. I just don't like the game of the year. I don't like comparing things that cannot be compared because its not in the same category. I realize that they are all video games, but come on, people don't decide what the best sport was of the year. I don't mind the poo flinging in games of the same category and I love certain awards like most innovative and most original, but that's it. I know that Assassin Creed 2 is gonna get an award or two and Modern Warfare 2 is gonna sweep the board and I'm going to be mad but hey, that's life...virtual life I mean.

Posted: December 14, 2009 7:42 AM
    Badfug
  • bourngamer42

damn, assassin's creed and borderlands are gonna be christmas presents for me. other than that i'll have played them all. but for now Uncharted and COD tie becuz my GF doesnt hate me for playing it cuz theyre all so cinematic she likes to watch them lol

Posted: December 13, 2009 9:46 PM
    bourngamer42
  • ghettoe

If Uncharted 2 doesn't win please give it to modern warfare. When I finished the campaign mode I was so excited I started explaining the story to my mom. Who did not understand a word I said, but that's how exciting MW2 was, but Uncharted is still my number 1 and I really want to play boderlands and was thinking of joining a renting site for that reason.

Posted: December 13, 2009 3:59 PM
    ghettoe
  • OBLIO64

Adam Sessler= Gamings Goofball Guru

Posted: December 13, 2009 8:28 AM
    OBLIO64
  • DragonRider6

Mr. Melon I'm happy as ling as InFamous got there. Thanx

Posted: December 12, 2009 6:22 AM
    DragonRider6
  • sion8

here is my top names for Adam:
    5.)crazy Adam
    4.) diplomat of gaming
    3.) Awesome
    2.) the lover of diversity (in games)
    AND.............
    1.) GAMING'S TEMPLAR

Posted: December 11, 2009 5:51 PM
    sion8
  • mirthor

great job sess. always honest to your opinions. i wish everyone would just let people think what they want and play what they want! you tell us what you think and then say, go play it and form your own opinion. i love that! keep up the good work. and keep pissin off the ignorant!

Posted: December 10, 2009 11:29 PM
  • camb31691

Even though a game might have received a lower score than another game, does not exclude them from being GOTY.

In other words, to some of these comments, just because borderlands didn't get a perfect score like Batman: AA, it shouldn't be automatically excluded from being nominated.

I like to think that GOTY means, a game that is exceptional in game play, cinematics, the fun factor, and is fresh. They succeeded in showing something new. The one game that shocked me to be on the list was Borderlands, even though i enjoyed it.
    Uncharted 2, i personally think is the best game this year, but if not, MW2 deserves it.

Posted: December 10, 2009 2:59 PM
    camb31691
  • dr2boomer

1. The savior of 4 stars
    2. Invoker of innovation
    3. Hunter of the hateful ignorant
    4. The steel-balled Baron
    5. Eddie Riggs' left hand lacky.

Posted: December 10, 2009 2:43 PM
    dr2boomer
  • chantler

My list... of names to call Adam

1.Goober

Batman Arkham Asylum should
    KillZone 2
    and 3 more.

Posted: December 10, 2009 11:33 AM
    deline
  • ZombieElite

I can't really say one game is better than the other becasue I haven't played all the games on the list but I've enjoyed Batman Arkham Asylum more than Assassin's Creed 2. I was more emotionally involved in Batman, I'm close to the end of AC2 and I felt like the whole time I was just kinda grinding, no real peaks and valleys in character development or in story. Also the look and feel of Batman was amazing. the straight jacket guys where pretty cool looking. It was basically like if Bioshock, Assassin's Creed and the best parts of the Batman franchise had a baby. on a side note, I can't wait for their to be a hiatus between big titles 'cause I've been really aching to play borderlands,It's a great in between game.

Posted: December 10, 2009 9:54 AM
    ZombieElite
  • MartinJohnstone

Good list i have been surprised by the quality of games this year and that newer IP's are coming forward.

It seams like there have been a lot more titles with a fun gaming experience this year rather than having a few stand out titles and some interesting games that don't fully hold their promise.

Posted: December 10, 2009 8:40 AM
    MartinJohnstone
  • supabul

Infamous how did that make it into GOTY Gategory

Posted: December 10, 2009 6:29 AM
    supabul
  • Dominick61193

Call of duty modern warfare 2 is the best

Posted: December 10, 2009 3:03 AM
    Dominick61193
  • nate8081

come on Adam, we all know uncharted 2 will win game of the year.

Posted: December 10, 2009 2:34 AM
    nate8081
  • usemeup

not enough of the "judges" gave enough weight to arkham asylum or killzone 2, thats why they aren't on the list. 5/5 was not a qualification. Released after Dec 1, 2008 was the only qualification

Posted: December 9, 2009 9:08 PM
    usemeup
  • sadmoo

assassins creed2 will win game of the year

Posted: December 9, 2009 8:53 PM
    sadmoo
  • bugmenot150

I like Adam but, why is Borderlands and Assassin's Creed 2 nominated over Batman Arkham Asylum and Killzone 2 which were rated higher and IMO were better games?

Posted: December 9, 2009 6:57 PM