X-Play Presents: A Mario Retrospective

Posted: November 19, 2009
X-Play Presents: A Mario Retrospective
X-Play takes a look back at the history of everyone's favorite plumber in this Mario Retrospective. Blair Herter gives us a history of Mario including how he got his trademark hat, mustache and overalls. Plus find out who Mario is named after!

• sonicvssilver22

hey wheres bowser's inside story?? best mario game in my opinion....

Posted: August 9, 2010 7:12 PM
    sonicvssilver22
  • MrApophis

cool

Posted: March 29, 2010 8:07 PM
    MrApophis
  • djthedj08

mario has been in so many games. I am surprise they havent made a mario rock band lol. But seriously the new super mario bros. is a sweet game. my dad, lil bro, and I love playing it because now we dont have to wait for someone to die or finish the level to take turns now.

Posted: November 27, 2009 10:50 PM
    djthedj08
  • SCM13

Sounds like Blaire was hating on Super Mario Sunshine. I have to say it was the best game I ever played on the gamecube. I loved that game and I really wish I didn't trade it into amazon. HAHA.

Posted: November 24, 2009 9:06 PM
    SCM13
  • DownwithBigBrother

Go to gametrailers.com for some good retrospectives

Posted: November 22, 2009 3:54 PM
    DownwithBigBrother
  • Jimkill

Im a bit intrigued at the fact that not a single shred of footage was shown from the virtual boy games mario was in. I know the system was a total failure, and nintendo would love to forget it ever existed. But it did, and nintendo will never live that one down. So why does everybody seem to leave it by the wayside, it was a fantastic idea that just never caught on, the Wii could have just as easily flopped the same way.

Posted: November 20, 2009 1:18 PM
    Jimkill
  • BigAngryHobo

i totally agree!!!

Posted: November 20, 2009 12:40 PM
    BigAngryHobo
  • Invader_Quirk

This is just shameful. Don't you guys have a fact-checker? First of all, in Donkey Kong, Mario was called Jumpman, not "Mario Segali". He was never "Mario Segali". That was the landlord's name. What he later became was simply "Mario" or "Mario Mario" depending on the source (there was a lot of conflicting info around this time due to NOA not checking with Japan). This video also says that Mario Bros 2 was deemed too difficult for gamers and, as a result, games like Mario RPG and Super Smash Bros were made. Hoo boy. First and foremost, the video of Super Mario Bros 2 shown is of the American version, which was a modded version of the game "Doki Doki Panic". The Japanese Mario Bros 2, which we know here in the US as "The Lost Levels" was what was deemed too difficult for gamers, hence our easier version. To say that games from two subsequent consoles (Mario RPG and Smash Bros) were the result of a difficult Mario Bros 2 is ridiculous. Really shoddy work. People count on you to get it right.

Posted: November 19, 2009 9:32 PM