Sessler's Soapbox: We Don't Need New Consoles (Yet)

Posted: October 28, 2009
Sessler's Soapbox: We Don't Need New Consoles (Yet)
Adam discusses why he doesn't think we need a new console generation anytime soon.

• UK_John

What wasn't mentioned, because this site is so console centric, is that the longer it takes for a new console, the cheaper it is for PC gamers! 360 and PS3 games are now being written on 5 year old machines, then they are converted for PC. A game written on a five year old technology is not going to push PC upgrades! If it is another couple years (at least) before new consoles come along, then anyone who bought a decent PC 3 years ago, will be still be playing on it 2 years from now without a single upgrade being needed!

Of course, because of this, we see less graphic cards and CPU;s and Ram being sold, with, sales down nearly 40% on 2 years ago! Many PC hardware companies are blaming the recession, but i think it has more to do with us having the longest gap ever between new consoles, and that means average PC are going to be able to run the best of what gets produced on those 2006 consoles!

Posted: June 8, 2010 6:12 PM
    UK_John
  • thewolf619

Agreed, Adam! I don't care to have a new console at all right now. I'm quite happy with the current generation and don't care to move on any time soon.

Posted: November 4, 2009 5:06 PM
    thewolf619
  • JitteryJordan

wii needs an upgrade.

Posted: November 1, 2009 2:08 PM
  • ghettoe

I'm waiting for Virtual reality. For the moment though I'm very satisfied with my ps3, but in 10 years I would love to see V.R. Imagine playing call of duty like that.

Posted: October 31, 2009 2:21 PM
    ghettoe
  • Yeow95

In my opinion, the company that we don't need any new HOME consoles from until 2012/2013 is Sony. Until 2012/2013, no PS4. They should just improve their Slim w/ full HD (1080p) graphics, make the disc speed a little faster (Slim's disc speed is a tidbit slower than "fat") and re-add PS2/SACD support, IR port, main switch, and third-party OS support. (There is a media hub that has an addit. 3 USB ports and MS/SD flash card port.)

Microsoft's 360 needs a console update. No software updates at all, HARDWARE. We need to see some built-in Wi-Fi and less 360 failure percent from them, not to mention some sort of FREE "bronze" Xbox Live. Microsoft also needs to come up with new exclusives, because Microsoft's minds are now so blank they have to pay companies to bring PlayStation exclusives like Tekken and Metal Gear Solid to the 360 and create sequels. Also I'm wondering when a Xbox portable will come out (or when the Zune will play games like the iPhone.)

Wii-I shouldn't even GO there. Wii needs:
    HD graphics and a HDMI port
    Play DVDs/CDs
    Updated Internet Channel-Upload/Download files/Support Java
    Needs more media support (videos/photos/music), like some sort of Media Channel
    A camera/camcorder
    More memory
    REMOVE THOSE DAMN CODES AND JUST LET PPL ON NINENDO WI-FI CONNECTION CHHOSE W/ FREEOM TO PLAY W/ EACH OTHER AND FAV. FRIENDS
    Make Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection a bit more smoother.

Posted: October 30, 2009 4:52 AM
    Yeow95
  • rkontna

It seems like im the only one in the weorld without xbox live, its a money thing but i pray that the psp go serves as an example to why we shouldn't download games in the future. i have enough problems with my ipod with crap i buy from the itunes store being unuseable after my computer crashes. its wasted money and id hate ti see this problem start to occur in video games too.

Posted: October 29, 2009 3:03 PM
    rkontna
  • Variand

You're logic is sound Sess! just about every other console of previous generations came out as an update to new technology in either Hardware or software. So far there haven't been any really noteworthy advancements that warrant new consoles when this current generation is still selling!

They are on the right track, however, with digital downloads, motion controls (for all their novelty), and various other peripherals.

I've seen lots of discussion about this in the past couple months. It seems that while we all feel (probably habitually) that after 3 years of so we should be gearing up for a new round of consoles, the consensus is that no one (Big3, Consumers, Developers, all) are not ready for a new set of consoles when there is still so much potential in this current gen (maybe not so much the Wii - I've read the other stories about its staling sales) and so little to gain from another.

Posted: October 29, 2009 2:10 PM
    Variand
  • ZoMbIEx23x

I'm a pc, i'm all with the xbox and stuff. I just hope that when mircrosoft does come out with a new console they give it more than 20 gigs and that half that memory won't be taken up by neccasary programs that I need to run my console. I wasn't too entirely impressed either with what I saw at their press conference (on tv) when I was watching E3 this year, hell I wanted to switch over to a Ps3 after I saw sony's new motion thingy ma-bob and when I thought that, a small piece of died lol

Posted: October 29, 2009 11:49 AM
    ZoMbIEx23x
  • SKETCHFro

I'll probably be on the "X" list for this but... if they can accomplish that without turning a console into a second computer in which I have to maintain all those lovely goof-ups a PC does at times...I would probably like it. I like consoles just because every time a new games comes out, I don't have to completely update all the components of the system..its there. Its ready to play, put the disc in and have fun. I can see the ups in in 5 years or so, just having to buy a new part that would boost the 360's and PS3's graphic, processing speeds and so on...I just don't want it to hinder that experience I've had with consoles in the first place, just for a quick fix.

I think that with our current set of consoles, we definitely do not need to think or see anything about a new console for years to come. It would be amazing if all systems would be able to pump in 10 or 15 years of good games, graphics and controls before having to announce anything about a new console.

...and to be honest...I'm not really sure how I feel on either companies new Motion controllers. When they start putting demos out at conventions is the time that I think I can start having an opinion on them.

Until then, I'll get my kicks pressing the "X" button.

Posted: October 29, 2009 2:01 AM
    SKETCHFro
  • TheDrunkardHu

i hope that they dont release a console for quite some time... i can't afford all of them... hell, it took me well into the xbox 360's life to be able to own it, and even then, it was a used console :/

one point that i don't think i heard mention of, is that by releasing a new console, at this time, or even within the next few years, i think that gamers will be split up... i'm certain that many people feel the hurt, as i do, and with that many people staying behind, if a new console is released, a company like microsoft would still be almost obligated to continue supporting this generation's consoles... meaning that their resources put toward supporting whatever content that a new console would bring, would be thin, and so would the support of the old console's... which is bad on both ends. also, the Live community, and that of other online services, would be divided... meaning that there would be a smaller chance of filling an in game lobby, and would add frustration to each community...

idk, just my opinion, but i say 5 more years... that would give me time enough to be ready to purchase a new console, and for people to be ready to become a part of a new online community, i think.

Posted: October 28, 2009 11:37 PM
    TheDrunkardHu
  • ABACAB72

The only ones that needs a new console is Xbox. They are using outdated tech for their games, and it shows. With the arrival of Uncharted 2 and the rumours of Wii 2 (BluRay, 1080p, free replacement for those with old Wiis), they just can't compete anymore. Also add to this the fact that M$ refuses to add WiFi to their console and over charges for everything (including rumours about XBLive going to $100/year), M$ is dead in the water. Sony knew what they were doing. As much as it pains me to admit it, Sony was right in '06 at E3...the high def gen of gaming started when they said it started.

Posted: October 28, 2009 11:19 PM
    ABACAB72
  • friendofbud666

Microsoft is thinking about new consoles, and it's called Natal save us! They will probably still have at least one more redesign for the PS3, although it's propably not for about 4 years. M$ needs their next step to containg the next cheaper i7 and i9 cores. They now have it where the gpu is on the processor core as well. 3D is the future, didn't anyone see The Lawnmower Man. I want my virtual reailty. 50 Cent blood in the sand, cmon terrible game Adam. I've got 1.5 terabytes out of my ps3, pertty sure space isn't much of a probablem anymore, just reliability isn't their yet in hard drives.

Posted: October 28, 2009 11:05 PM
    friendofbud666
  • RandomGuy1052

Adam is right It is far to early to even be talking about new consols the consols out now are producing so much quality now that it would just squander that success. Plus considering how long it took for each of the current gen systems to really pick up momentum with the current hardware
    It would take forever for anybody to adjust to even newer hardware.

Posted: October 28, 2009 8:37 PM
    RandomGuy1052
  • DragonRider6

and yes, thank you for the "big objects" that fill our free time :D

Posted: October 28, 2009 4:00 PM
    DragonRider6
  • DragonRider6

what yous aid about taking out a consoles hard drive to make it better, it would just be a PC you can play on your TV..................

Posted: October 28, 2009 3:58 PM
    DragonRider6
  • sukTHEfacc

Uncharted 2 is the perfect example to demonstrate why we are not ready for new consoles: they were able to focus on acting, artwork, gameplay, and presentation, rather than working with lighting and programming mysteries.

I can also see differences in Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction and the just released Crack in Time - Insomniac took more time to create and less time figuring stuff out overcoming new obstacles.

Posted: October 28, 2009 3:54 PM
    sukTHEfacc
  • Matt731

yes, no new consoles yet, but the companies should constantly update and upgrade their consoles. Microsoft sort of is with their fixing the red-ringers, although that's more of getting from negative to neutral. Hopefully they keep going into the positive (Project Natal, maybe?) and get the other companies to follow suit.

Posted: October 28, 2009 3:37 PM
    Matt731
  • teac77

Rather than upping storage, I hope that Sony and Nintendo start bundling HDMI and/or Component cables with their consoles. The typical consumer "settles" with fullscreen 480i content more often than not.

Posted: October 28, 2009 3:25 PM
    teac77
  • elite_hoster

Thus my opinion is ram is critical in a machine

example if a game like arma2 plays with less ram less is allocated and it will see crap, thus if we could some how have a console that utilises ram similar to how hard drive are easily installed meaning , so consumers can pay for what they really want,

similar to how a update would come or even new hard drive, tho swapping a cpu from a pc can hinder it meaning best to just make new console tho its pricey building parts for 4 million people and world wide best to leave that alone, why not post pone it entirely and revise what developers can utilise on the core architecture thus giving feed back to what they can do, i have seen games that have poor direction meaning it was not the hard ware just the direction of the concept

lets say to games come out and on the box it will say 2 gig, gear war 4 and 512mg for gears 4 giving consumer choice on what aspect on what they would like to see more trees more gpu settings, well this is an idea not to be blown out of proportion, well like they say an idea starts from an idea

Posted: October 28, 2009 3:19 PM
    elite_hoster
  • spooty89

I like a lot of the points Adam brought up and I whole-heartedly agree that this generation of consoles have earned more time than previous generations have. This is due, in part, to the state of the global economy but, moving past that, it is also because there appears to be so much untapped potential in each system.

Project Natal looks incredible; true one-to-one body control. I really didn't think anything like this could happen during this generation of systems but, if what I've read about it is correct, this thing works extremely well. If Microsoft prices it right, it could become something akin to a brand new console itself.

The PlayStation 3 has finally, I think, shown some of its true potential with Uncharted 2; the game really pushes the system and, while Naughty Dog says that they have the Cell pushed to its limit, I know that there are always technical tricks being invented that make what was previously impossible on a system possible (just look at what God of War I & II did on the PS2). With that in mind, and Sony's plan to support the PS3 for 10 years, I'm looking forward to what the future holds for this system.

Finally we come to the Wii. Since it launched I've only bought 7 games for this system. Nintendo has, up to this point, almost completely ignored it's loyal fanbase and I, in turn, have done much the same. However, after seeing what they had at this years E3, I'm hoping that things are going to turn around. While there weren't any games that I consitered to be "must buy games", it was nice to see at least a few hardcore-esq games coming out later this year. If Nintendo can finally pull itself out of its casual game funk, I have hope for this system. If it can't, I can't see myself getting their next system at launch, if at all.

Posted: October 28, 2009 3:03 PM