Jail for Jailbreaking iPhones

Posted: July 30, 2009
Jail for Jailbreaking iPhones

Beware Apple if you've got an unlocked iPhone. Kevin Pereira talks to Fred von Lohmann from the Electronic Frontier Foundation about Apple's legal claims that hacking the device constitutes copyright infringement, and what that mean for you as an iPhone user.

• venom546

yea i jailbroke my ipod touch i dont have a iphone i have t-mobile but i actually like it jailbroken better then having to pay for all the apps.

Posted: February 25, 2010 8:13 PM
  • katracho941

Could you get sued for jailbroken ipod touch's??
    im on tmobile so no ifone

Posted: August 12, 2009 9:22 AM
  • de_cake_iz_a_L13

jail breakking is just like downloading music

it will always be there

everyone will always do it

ppl will think their kool because they do it

the only way u get fined is if you run up to the apple corp. and say "HEY MY IPHONES JAILBREAKED WAHOOO!!"

and i will always be to lazy to do it.

Posted: August 1, 2009 12:21 PM
    de_cake_iz_a_L13
  • IronMonkZen

I could see why Apple wants to make a legal issue outta this, but the consumers have a right to put whatever app on their phone that they want. It's their phone, they bought it with their money, and they're the ones that are paying the bills on the damn thing. If people wanna Jailbreak their iPhone let them, just make sure it's explained that they're gonna loose their warrantee and insurance of the phone. And if they accept that then let them go ahead and jailbreak their phone without fear of being prosecuted for it.

Posted: July 31, 2009 9:58 PM
    IronMonkZen
  • 100percentgood

Im leaning towards the side of the users, here. jailbreaking is a simple way to allow you to obtain services from other companies. it is not malicious, and isnt some way to rip-off "the system" by obtaining any and all services for free. its a simple way to expand user usability.

if apple wants to stop users from jailbreaking, they should license out to other companies and devs. create a service that encompasses indie devs, and embraces this "underground" style of distribution.

it boils down to Apple feeling like theyre losing money to these alternate companies, yet shooting themselves in the foot by disallowing any form of alternate distribution, alternate network usage, and basically monopolizing the software able to be used on a mini-computer. its a reverse of the situation Microsoft faced several years back.

Microsoft had barred any non-Windows based computers from using any Microsoft software. this lead to the monopoly lawsuits, and divided up Microsoft into multiple, stand-alone companies.

now, Apple has vehemently denied any independent software from being used on a product known for its multiple applications. these apps drive the product. if consumer demand has swayed towards the indie devs, and the freedom to choose from products outside of the Apple umbrella, Apple should NOT be blocking this issue, but embracing it.

my cell phone is no different than any other piece of technology i own. if i want to add an after-market stereo to my VW, it is legal. if i want to open up my PS3 and replace my BR lens, it is legal. if i want to change my PC so i can overclock it and run it differently, it is absolutely 100% legal.

there is no sense in making cell phone and MP3 player modification illegal! at what point would this "special" sense of modification begin and end? i can mod my iMac, but not my iPod?

it is absolutely baseless, and i pray Apple wakes up, and realizes how terrible a mistake they are making.

Posted: July 31, 2009 2:47 PM
    100percentgood
  • sophisto

what a great way to keep your clients! just put them in jail!

Posted: July 31, 2009 1:34 PM
    sophisto
  • sophisto

i'd like to see ford tell people they can't mod their cars.

Posted: July 31, 2009 1:32 PM
    sophisto
  • NioShobu

While I have to admit, it is kind of illegal because of the fact that your modding their hardware, but looking at the points raised in this The Loop, I'm leaning towards the legal side now. Look at what they said about Windows and Microsoft. If Microsoft only allowed certain things on their computers, we wouldn't have Firefox or other great programs. I think Apple should let it go and let people design what they want to for their mini computer. And I mean that. The iPhone's and iPod Touch's are close to computers and they should get non-Apple software like Windows gets non-Microsoft programs.

Posted: July 31, 2009 1:12 PM
    NioShobu
  • master_peterm

Good thing that not only is android marketplace open. but you can download apps online too without the store.

Posted: July 31, 2009 9:58 AM
    master_peterm
  • ozifool

Yep I am stupid :s

Posted: July 31, 2009 7:57 AM
    ozifool
  • ozifool

Don't think I'll be hacking mine anytime soon, don't want to void my insurance. In Australia if u r on the optus network they aparently unlock it for u if u phone them and ask nicely. Still I want cydia!!!

Posted: July 31, 2009 7:56 AM