Sessler's Soapbox: Censorship's Gone But Not Forgotten

Posted: July 22, 2009
Sessler's Soapbox: Censorship's Gone But Not Forgotten

• Reynold32

More to the reason is why do people seem to think that they can blame there problem on everything but themselves. Retailers and creators of video games should be able to make what they wanna make and sell them just like music and movies. There is music that killing and drinking and smoking and be a "gansta" is cool. So then to GTA comes out and is the same as the said music I just mentioned but because the player presses and button and makes a character do and action it should be attacked on a huge level is just silly. Parents need to start parenting there kids again and stop trying to get rid of any possible thing that could harm there child. I do realize that I am not a parent but if I was one and he/she wanted a video game I would buy them age viable games, I would not buy my 8 year old GTA or Halo 3. More so people need to read up on what the rating are and what they mean so little Timmy dose not think it is okay to shoot up his school. All in all video games are misunderstood form of entertainment that is attacked because of ignorant people who like to shift blame.

Posted: August 14, 2009 9:53 AM
    Reynold32
  • BertMayhem

"...outlets like Fox News that don't want brown people on the supreme court..."
    you lost me there. forever. i will no longer watch your soapbox videos. unlike most people, i tolerate most things i don't like, but that comment was awful. you're no longer bookmarked on my browser.

Posted: July 26, 2009 1:09 AM
    BertMayhem
  • mistablair

While I agree with Adam about Censorship being bad, I would have to disagree on age restrictions being bad as well. When I was growing up I was jumping on people's heads and Duke Nukem was a cartoony side scroller. Today's youth deal with much more graphic violence, and much more mature subject matter. I don't think it's wrong for the government to want someone to be 18 to buy Leisure Suit Larry in the same way you have to be 18 to buy alcohol or cigarettes. Obviously some kids will get access it to it through a loose retailer, but many will be stopped.

If one's parents wanted to purchase the game for them then so be it, the government isn't preventing that or censoring, it solely is ensuring a parent of guardian has to give the green light to the purchase. As I'm sure all of you know, many parents on amazing with technology, it is too hard for them to parent be left on their own to deal with it. I could be playing Diablo (with the naked demons and the blood) and if I heard my parents coming to see what I was doing I could easily Alt-Tab into another game to hide it. They probably wouldn't have minded, but I'll never know as I always hid that sort of stuff from them.

Posted: July 23, 2009 5:30 AM
    mistablair
  • spicypooptastic

Whats that game with the hamster with the jetpack playing behind sessler. It looks tight

Posted: July 23, 2009 12:24 AM
    spicypooptastic
  • SoulReapir

AH!!!!!!! were not french!!!!!!!!

Posted: July 22, 2009 5:59 PM
    SoulReapir
  • the_JediDragon

Censorship is one of those issues I feel strongly about, I actually don"t have anything to add on that front. Instead, I have advice on Adam's last point. Spreading information about games and making them feel less alien to the general public is probably the best way to forestall any future assault on video games.
    To that end, I have some advice. What has always appealed to me about video games (with some exceptions) is viewing them as "interactive cinema". Some games are summer action movies, others are sci-fi or fantasy epics, and some are art films. Playing a story based game is like controlling your own movie. While this may be a minority view on the subject: I was shocked when I explained this to my 57 year-old father, and he said "That makes a lot of sense." Before this, he had viewed games almost as a waste of time. I never thought I'd get my dad to accept games (I know he'll never play anything other then free cell), but this actually worked!
    With that in mind, I offer this viewpoint for those trying to explain the appeal, and the ability to handle the same types of themes that films can, to some one who doesn't understand.

Posted: July 22, 2009 4:14 PM
    the_JediDragon
  • QueenNzinga

I honestly do not understand the issue with restricting M rated games to adults. I was at a movie theatre when a family which included two toddlers were trying to get into the Hannibal Lecter movie. The manager had to say "No, we wont let them in there." I think that was the right decision because being a teacher that commutes on public transportation has literally made me a PhD in all the ways people can be really really whack parents.

The other thing that bothers me which is unrelated to the above point is that we currently are in a war wherein US 'soldiers' for lack of a better word sit at desks and send unarmed drone missiles to foreign lands and decimate whole villages. No fuss, no muss, no moral dilemma, just FPS like maneuvering and copious kill shots. The army recruits by creating FPSes for consoles and setting up laser tag like amusements in arcades to further desensitize young men (and women) to all the real life killing their doing when they play real life FPS with those unmanned drones. I just don't think it's unreasonable to make retailers take responsibility for their business practices. If they can't sell cigs and booze to minors then M rated video games shouldn't be a problem.

Posted: July 22, 2009 3:37 PM
    QueenNzinga
  • TRIGGER1018

I like what Adam had to say. It reminds me of wathcing a TV show with Twisted Sisters front man Dee Snider that went to Capital hill to defend him self and Rock music in general from all people Tipper Gore. I disagree with you Svederik I think that Violence is an everyday part of life and while some degree of cenoership maybe needed like kids under the age of 18 can't play those games with out parents permission but I don't think that the goverment needs to get involved I think that it is the parents job not our goverment. For me Video Games are an outlet when I get home from work and had a bad day and the wife is complaing about money turn on a COD 4 kill some people and I feel better I have less stress and there is nothing wrong with that. 20 years ago a person in my place would maybe go out to a bar and do a "little" drinking or someother act that may be dangerous for others.

Now I'm starting to ramble so I will shut up now BYE BYE

Posted: July 22, 2009 2:04 PM
    TRIGGER1018
  • Zujo

wait woah, now i dont have to show an id to buy M rated games?

Posted: July 22, 2009 1:17 PM
    Zujo
  • Svederik

Good thoughts Adam,
    I believe that censorship has come a long way, especially with the innovation with the ESRB and other rating systems. However, that's not to say that retailers are still selling M rated games to minors, whether it be directly to them or through adults purchasing games for minors.

I don't necessarily agree with you about the "language" ordeal. What is not to get about a character getting chainsawed into tiny bits? I believe that video games can be so much more if they would pursue something other than another violent game. Video games are a medium that can do a lot, i.e. something other that gun play.

While I'm all for freedom of Speech, I do believe that some censorship should be in order. If some people in the industries of mass entertainment would check themselves and think whether or not their product is worth taking a look at and whether or not it has some mirth to it rather than just releasing another shooter or slasher movie.

I really enjoy listening to the Soapbox, and you bring up some good points.

Apologies for rambling, but my point is that the industry should try to be more creative with their works and check their heads every once in a while.

Posted: July 22, 2009 12:33 PM
    Svederik
  • lollover

cool. always fun to watch.

Posted: July 22, 2009 12:31 PM