Discussion: Should Left 4 Dead 2 Be Free?

Posted: July 1, 2009
Discussion: Should Left 4 Dead 2 Be Free?
In today's Hot Topic discussion, Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb and Mr Sark discuss whether 'L4D2' qualifies as a new game or whether it should be considered 'Left 4 Dead' DLC, and thus, be free to players.

• monstrou

to everyone who is whining and complaining JUST SHUT UP, seriously how hard did they work to make this game, its ok for halo series to introduce new characters and levels to a whole new 60 dollar game, but if left 4 dead wants to do the same everyone revolts, complains and starts online boycotts
    GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: September 5, 2009 9:42 PM
    monstrou
  • LATG

I think it should be DLC but i dont really care. new game, new maps, and new survivors. i cant wait for L4D 2.

Posted: August 5, 2009 3:56 PM
    LATG
  • spartan960

Hello there I'm Spartan960 and I'm reporting to you live from my labtop in Stegger Illinois.First off I'd like to say that you're all douchebags if you think Left4Dead2 should be free and come on what DLC you know thats gonna be free that's going to be as epic as L4D2.Now I do have to say that it should cost a little less like $30-$20 but it won't matter to me cause I got money in the bank.But this little thing is going to disappear as soon as the game comes out.This was Spartan960 peace.

Posted: July 14, 2009 6:12 AM
    spartan960
  • MJP11392

ok boycotters stop bitching they spent alot of money making anew game for us with totally new and better content i will pay money for another game of L4D get over the fact they you cant play zoey any more to just stare at her ass

Posted: July 12, 2009 9:06 PM
    MJP11392
  • IWasHere

01:34 Anyone, else notice how they blurred that out?

Posted: July 8, 2009 4:14 AM
    IWasHere
  • guillermo316

ummm left for dead 2?

Posted: July 6, 2009 6:25 PM
    guillermo316
  • shyguy

i just think it is just so soon to pump out a new game. Its like...Valve is the mother. They just had this child and they won't give it enough attention. They have already had sex for the second time and squeezing out another child. Its like....no! we still have to get to know this new born better...its only been a year.

Posted: July 6, 2009 3:55 PM
  • AngelsandDemons

Dude made a good point. The protest should have occurred when Part 1 came out. Now gamers are just mad because they want to get Part 2 but feel like they bought into the L4D franchisee early on and now they are going to have to shell out another 50 bones. It's a viable point but I bet Valve didn't know they were going to have a hit on their hands.

Posted: July 6, 2009 3:29 PM
    AngelsandDemons
  • cwhas2godhands

i no longer buy console games at full price. i'm not your damn alpaca anymore gaming industry...

no new console game should cost more than $45. wake up, there's a recession! you're heading for even harder times if you don't.

Posted: July 6, 2009 3:28 PM
    cwhas2godhands
  • YoureSoFunny

if you're broke don't buy it simple as that they're still coming out with DLC for L4D so quit crying

Posted: July 6, 2009 2:52 PM
    YoureSoFunny
  • II_cpl_hicks_II

It is not a feeling of entitlement, it is being cheated. We payed $60 for an incomplete game. L4D2 is coming out a year after L4D1, that is way too little development time for a new game... EA starts a new Need For Speed a year before it's current title is launched. (For example, NFS Undercover was in development a year before NFS Pro Street came out.) Valve has L4D2 coming out this winter, they had to start working on it as soon as L4D1 shipped. I feel that Valve had an unfinished project that they sold as a full game to make it's ship date. Every "new" feature such as the melee weapons, daylight settings, new infected, and director 2.0 could have been put in L4D1 with a couple of extra months of development time... The new maps and characters in DLC in time. However, I am still going to buy L4D2. It looks SWEET!!!!!

Posted: July 6, 2009 2:43 PM
    II_cpl_hicks_II
  • slimmer

I dont like L4D and am bummed that Valve has NOT finished HL2 ep3 tired of these games with either no new substance or none at all.
    They changed the characters,place,time of day and maybe some weapons ? but its still lame, play Serious Sam its much more creative and twistedly funny but the same game play (things come at you and you shoot it)

Posted: July 6, 2009 1:42 PM
    slimmer
  • zimmy91

Here is my take why put out sixty dollars of dlc when you can put more on a sixty dollar disc.

Posted: July 6, 2009 10:33 AM
    zimmy91
  • mikemill

@ Sessler - I usually agree with you, but I gotta say you're wrong on this one. You're definately not trying to see it from John Doe gamer's perspective.

I bought Left 4 Dead last year and was pretty amazed at how little content there was on the game. Offering no true "campaign" experience at all (the single player was just practice for the multi-player) and only 4 environments for online, the original Left 4 Dead should not have been a full-priced retail game to begin with. Yes, it was fun, but after a couple of weeks of playing those 4 maps, I got bored and sold it on ebay. That's just me, but I believe a lot of people felt the same way... that it was an incomplete game for the $60 price tag.

Now Valve turns around and is offering a game that looks EXACTLY like the first one (aside from a few new characters, weapons and maps) and is trying to pass if off as a full blown sequel. That's ridiculous. L4D 2 looks a lot more like a $20 expansion to L4D to me then a full-fledge retail game.

From my vantage point Left 4 Dead 2 looks like an obvious cash grab by both Valve and Microsoft wherein they are trying to pass off an expansion of Left 4 Dead as a full blown sequel.

Consumers get jilted because they want VALUE when they invest a game and online community like Left 4 Dead and the reason people are upset is because is appears like Valve is not offering great value to those who have invested their hard-earned dollars into their game, especially in this troubled economy that we live in now.

Posted: July 6, 2009 8:49 AM
    mikemill
  • mikemill

Posted: July 6, 2009 8:48 AM
    mikemill
  • mikemill

Sessler, I usually agree with you but I think you're wrong on this one. You're definately not siding on the side of the gamer on this issue.

I bought Left 4 Dead 1 and couldn't believe how little content there was on the game. There was essentially no single player experience to speak of (the single player was just practice for the multiplayer, absolutely no "campaign" whatsoever) and there was only 4 maps!

After having fun with the multiplayer for about a week I got bored of it, and sold it on ebay.

Left 4 Dead 2 looks EXACTLY like part 1, with a few new features like a few new weapons, characters, maps. Sounds like a DLC package to me... making this a $20-$30 DLC expansion to Left 4 Dead would be entirely reasonable but releasing this as a full fledged retail game just 1 year later is obviously a cash grab by both Valve and Microsoft.

Posted: July 6, 2009 8:37 AM
    mikemill
  • Kratier

this is such a shell out for EA bitch called valve; valve has yet to fix concurrent problems with TF2; they already jumped ship to L4D and it was poor quality.

you guys gave it a good review only because it was owned by EA,

the reason the "crazies" are up in arms is because of that fact that EA NOW OWNS PART OF VALVE AND WILL BE CHURNING OUT SEQUELS YEAR BY YEAR WITH LITTLE TO NO IMPROVEMENT just like the friggin sport titles EA churns out.

Adam is such a media whore when it comes to defending the publishers and valve, because he thinks he is part of the industry, he is not . he's a lucky idiot who didn't get fired when tech tv got bought up

Posted: July 6, 2009 8:23 AM
    Kratier
  • miysis

I'm actually disappointed in you Adam. You tend to be more informed than this - even Morgan blatantly dropped the ball. First her comment of there only being 2 levels in single player: The entire series of maps is playable in single-player. And to Adam, I think quite a few other comments have done a good job of explaining the "nerd-rage" group. There is very little DLC that is free. Which is why most are calling for it to be that instead of the "free update" that Valve typically offers. I know you're only human, so your own personal opinion is going to influence the way you report these issues. But I actually expected you to dig deeper than what it seems you've done: googling "left 4 dead" and "boycott" and reading the titles of other gaming websites. I hope you reevaluate how you've chose to convey this in your capacity as editor and take up the L4D Boycott group on their offer to talk with you. You're hurting your own reputation by just riding the sensationalism wave that the bloggers tend to choose.

Posted: July 6, 2009 8:03 AM
    miysis
  • jdiggitty

All you asses whinning about this, DON"T BUY THE GAME! In fact, sell your LFD1 and walk away.

Its a videogame. Its not peace in the Middle East or the cure for cancer or anything more important than that. Its a goddamn videogame about zombies.

If you actually felt so jilted and offended by Valve, you wouldn't still be playing LFD1. You'd have some integrity and not support Valve at all instead of crying on the internet like a 5 year old who didn't get his way. You should all be ashamed of yourselves

Posted: July 6, 2009 7:55 AM
    jdiggitty
  • bloot10

im gonna get the game when it comes out whether i have to pay or not, people get over it like they said just because this game is coming out doesnt mean there gonna abandon the first one, also i got my moneysworth out of the first i got it when it came out and i still find myself playing it ive spended countless hours p;ayong

Posted: July 6, 2009 7:52 AM