DICE 2009: Used Game Sales... Evil?

Posted: February 26, 2009
DICE 2009: Used Game Sales... Evil?
TheFeed's Raymond Padilla tackles the extremely touchy subject of used game sales and it's effect on the gaming industry.

• doctheory

Cheers to That1_guy... Best post here, I buy used games for almost every reason he stated & I believe most gamers are the same way.
    But I prefer to buy good games new. But it's tough to dish out $60 or even $50 for a new game if it's possibly just an average game or if you know it's short and/or with limited replay.
    If a game is good, in high demand, & has a long user experience with high replay value, used game retailers do keep the used price right at $5-$10 below brand-new pricing, & just like That1_guy said, most gamers will go for new.
    So the answer is, if you make an inferior game, don't get upset if it becomes the video game whore that everyone gets a play on a few copies.
    If you make a great game, like Assasin's Creed 1/2, Fable 1/2, GTA, etc. I think the gamer does kind of owe the developer to buy it new, which I think most do for those games.

Posted: February 19, 2010 8:58 AM
    doctheory
  • Mancer1516

The other side of the coin is downloadable games where the used game retailer is cut out of the equation altogether. My feelings is gamestops days are numbered.

Posted: February 18, 2010 10:50 PM
    Mancer1516
  • DanRisen

Look we all know the the sure fire way to get rid of this used game problem is to just offer up your entire game up off a service like xboxlive or psn. However, the market as it is today and the consoles as they are just makes that impossible. Its true that the industry will likely bend toward that angle but someone will always want to have a physical copy of something to play; meaning also that when that someone gets tired of said game and wants to get rid of it they will sell it to a place like gamestop. The argument of gaining a fan over a full retail price purchase makes alot of sense so i can see 2 both sides of the argument. However, DLC is looking like the olny way to diminish these used sales and hold in cusumers for the time being.

Posted: February 18, 2010 3:14 PM
    DanRisen
  • kings_legacy

maybe game developers should make their entire gaming catlog avaiblie as DLC that way u can cut back on ppl buying used.btw gamestop is one of the worst shops to buy games at they try to make u buy the used copy say if you going to buy the new copy,try to sell u game insurance and sometimes pass used stuff off as new. The question is do they care,they answer is no.

Posted: February 18, 2010 1:27 PM
    kings_legacy
  • that1_guy

Now where do i start? I would have to begin with agreeing with justanothergamer300 on the fact that every used game sale is a potential new customer for DLC and especialy sequals. My personal story would have to relate to LFD, because i enjoyed my used copy of the original so much I did make and initial purchase of the sequal.

What is to be said about qualtiy of a game if someone is willing to take there brand new copy of a game and take it to GS for a 15-20% loss on there purchase. Maybe im just cheep but i think that the turn around isnt really worth it for me unless I really despised the game.

Then again why would a buy a 55$ game from game stop when I can buy it new for 5$ more at a retailer?

My 5 reasons to shop @ gamesto:
    1. i have already owned the game, Im not buying new again

2. If I have heard terrible reviews of the game but still want to try it. thank you G4 for saving me money.

3. If GS is offering the game far below new value because they know a price drop is eminent. (I bought Assasins Creed for 30$ months before retail price droped from 60$)

4. retailers make it too hard for me to find a new copy of an old game.

5. MADDEN 09's Server is down after 1 year. Total BS.

Posted: February 18, 2010 12:18 PM
    that1_guy
  • justanothergamer300

The biggest thing you have to remember is if you gain a fan.
    Say if the game is out of print and you can only get it used, OK I got the game and I enjoyed it I'm ready for the sequel.
    And you gained a fan so that new fan the you gained might by DLC or the next game new, or maybe merchandise.

Happened to me with the orange box, I got it used for the xbox 360 I loved it, heard about it being better on PC, then I downloaded Steam and bought team fortress 2 for 19.99 with no regrets and valve gained a fan that told his friends about the game and how good it is and they bought it.
    So valve I think you gained more money then you think from used games

Posted: February 17, 2010 5:55 PM
    justanothergamer300
  • V_Translanka

What if developers had their own stores? That way they could get money even from used games, right? Then they could give incentives to the gamers (free DLCs or something?) to use their stores instead of GameStop or w/e and we all win and the middleman dies the cold, horrible death his untalented hands deserve...or I guess they could hire him to run their stores or something, idk...>_>

Posted: February 17, 2010 4:32 PM
    V_Translanka
  • webgeek23

I think the DLC works, and as annoying as requiring the game to run online in order play also works. Or syncing your copy of the game to the system it runs on and limit it to just that will work. However, those methods are wrong. The only solution it seems is for publishers to be creative with out stepping on their target market's toes. BTW, that reporter was annoying.

Posted: February 16, 2010 10:06 PM
    webgeek23
  • MGG

AHHH,not used games, new games

Posted: February 16, 2010 7:49 PM
    MGG
  • MGG

I only be used games because of one reason, what happened to it with the person that had it before? Did they do anything to it? I just don't want to play with a lot of Unknown things. It was the same reason I dropped out of the PC gaming except for RTS games, Do I have enough RAM, ROM, right audio card, visual card, the right other programs as well. I'm sorry but I just want to be sure that my game is not going to bite me in the end for some strange reason.

Posted: February 16, 2010 7:11 PM
    MGG
  • iamhuman

60 bucks is a lot of money to be spending on entertainment, if they are going to flood the DLC into games and take away from the content on the disk the price of the disc needs to come down as well. i'm all for supporting game companies. ill pre order and all that but the point i want to make is i dont see stores shifting their prices on the value of a brand new game even with half of it locked. oh ya, people are greedy but corporations like future shop and EB games are much worse. maybe in a could years the games will come directly from the creators through streaming kind of like youtube or google video.

Posted: February 16, 2010 5:34 PM