There are a few sandwiches out there that could be rightfully called "manly." The pastrami or brautwurst sandiwich immeditaly comes to mind when talking about truly daunting dishes. But there is one sandwich that has stood the test of time and continues to sit atop the throne. The steak sandiwch is a classic that truly cannot be beat under any circumstance. I don't care if you've cooked the most elaborate sandwich taken straight from an episode of Knife Fight. The steak sandwich trumps all sandwiches. But how do you keep such a classic sandiwch relevant in a world of changing taste and calorie counting? Easy. You keep it exactly the same.
Esquire has a fantastic article on how to construct the perfect steak sandwich. Lets take a look at what you'll need to make this timeless treat:
- 8-oz prime strip rib-eye steak
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup pickled cherry peppers, sliced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp steak sauce
- Soft roll, ends trimmed, split horizontally
- Garlic mayonnaise
- 4 slices of Vermont white cheddar cheese
- Arugula, cleaned and dressed with redwine
- 2-inch piece fresh horseradish root, peeled
Now get out there and cook.