When it comes to unlocking achievements in Dishonored, there is really no right or wrong way to go about it. Experimentation and creative thinking define the Dishonored gameplay experience, and the same goes for snagging those precious cheevos. Outside of the achievements that you’ll unlock simply by progressing through the story, and pulling off standard actions like “Assassinate 10 unaware enemies,” there are some that require certain powers and even certain environments to pull off.
So without further ado, here are some tips to help you pick up these rewarding accolades as you journey across Dunwall on the hunt for your revenge.
1. King of the World (Reach the top of Kaldwin's Bridge): This is a location based achievement that you get for climbing to the top of drawbridge portion of Kaldwin’s Bridge. There’s no real trick to this one (other than just realizing it’s possible), and there’s only one way up, so just keep looking up and blinking between beams, climbing a chain or two as you find them, and eventually you’ll pop out on top of the bridge, and be able to cross it without any interference from any pesky guards patrolling below.
2. Hornets’ Nest (Kill four enemies in less than one second using the crossbow): The key to this achievement is the Bend Time ability, since you need to be able to completely stop time to pull it off. It also helps to be in an open area with few obstructions, because crossbow bolts aren’t one-hit kills unless they are headshots, so having as clear a line of sight as possible is advised. I recommend finding a good hiding spot overlooking said open space and either chucking a grenade or firing a spare bolt near a collection of guards to get their attention and cause them to group up. Once they are bunched together, blink down, freeze time, and go bolt wild.
3. Tempest (Kill 6 hostile enemies in less than one second): If you don’t pull this off while unlocking the Hornets’ Nest achievement, reload and use the same area for this one, since you need a good grouping of bodies for this one too. The easiest route to take here is cause a ruckus, wait until enough guards have grouped up, freeze time, plant a couple springrazors, and faster than you can say, “Minced guardsman,” you’ll have your achievement. (Bonus: Unlocking this achievement will also unlock “Cleaner,” which you get for taking on five enemies at once and surviving.)
4. Inhabitant (Stay in possession of others for most of a three minute period): Lady Boyle’s costume ball is the perfect place to pick up this achievement since it’s a totally non-hostile environment. You can even walk around openly with your weapons drawn, and none of the guards will bat an eye. I suppose you could try and pull this off with the level one possession, but then you’re limited to animals, and finding a group that sticks together long enough to bounce between them could prove to be more trouble than it’s worth.
5. Thief (Pickpocket items worth a total of 200 coins): This is one of those achievements that you’ll likely just get without really trying, but if you want to bang it out quickly, Lady Boyle’s costume party is also a great place to do so. Not only does every guests in attendance carry a coin pouch, but nobody notices/cares if you brazenly take them right off their belts in front of everyone. Rob the entire party, and this achievement, like all that precious, precious coin, is yours.
6. Speed of Darkness (Travel 30 meters in less than one second): Acquiring level 2 Blink will help tremendously with pulling off this nifty feat. You’ll also need level 2 Bend Time, so chances are you’ll have to get fairly far along in the game to do so. That’s fine though, because you need a good sized area to zip around, and there are quite a few during the closing chapters of the game. I found the beach portion of Kingsparrow Island, the final mission in the game, to be especially well suited for this task, as there are no real obstructions and just a lot of open land to blink across.
So there you have it. Just a few helpful tips to get you on your way to securing a couple of Dishonored’s more inventive achievements. If you have tips and tricks of your own, the comments section would really appreciate it.