With zombies all around you and the world going to the undead dogs in Resident Evil 6, sometimes you need to turn to the experts. No, I’m not talking about Leon, Ada Wong, or any of the other cast of characters that have survived for decades under the oppressive shadow of the Umbrella Corporation. I’m taking about the real experts, the good men and women who know this world line by line.
Recently, we caught up with Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and Eiichiro Sasaki, the producer and director respectively of Resident Evil 6, about what it takes to survive the coming zombie apocalypse. Even if you happen to be a die-hard fan of the series or just someone picking up the pistol for the first time, these tips will get you through some of the new additions to the series as well as help you get going on your mission to take on the walking dead.
- Learn how to pull off a quick shot. Hit the ready weapon button and fire at the same time to shoot at the closest enemy to knock him off balance. Be careful though since using a quick shot takes up a little bit of your physical gauge.
- If you’re just starting out, you might want to invest in the Best Partner skill. If you happen to go down, the AI controlled partner will instantly feed you tablets. You should also invest in skills to reduce damage.
- Practice using the backwards dodge roll and shooting. Also work on your counters by attacking right before a physical attack hits.
- For newcomers of the game, check your route guide. You can turn it off in the options if you don’t think you’ll need it. Even with the guide off, you can simply hit the route guide button to get you back on track.
- Instead of lugging around those hefty plants, take the time to turn them into tablets. When you’re in the heat of battle, tablets are easier to use than plants. While you mix up a batch of tablets by combining any of the herbs you come across, hit R2 and Square (PS3) or RB and X (360) to have the game combine the plants in the most optimal way.
- Most of the time, you just want to aim for the head. But sometimes, you need to think differently. Aiming for the arm will spin a zombie around, allowing you to perform an instant-kill with his back towards you.
- Ammo is limited. Don’t treat this like a shooter.
- If this is your first time in the Resident Evil series, you might want to turn off Agent Hunt mode. This ensures that other players won’t get into your game.
- Keep an eye on your physical gauge when using melee attacks or sliding into enemies.
- Pressing the right stick will make your character change which hand they hold their gun in. This will also switch which side the camera will be on your character.
- In a dying state, you still have a chance to get back into the game. You’ll be on your back and only able to use the last weapon you equipped, but you can still fight your way out of it. Stay strong and keep fighting.
- Jake can use his bare hands like a weapon. Charge his attack and aim him at an enemy. If he lands the attack, he’ll move to the next enemy and the one after that as his attack continues.
- With bosses, don’t ignore your partner. Often during the cut scene, they’ll give some clue to how to take him on. Keep an eye on the camera as well since that will give you a clue to how to take on some of these massive brutes.