Major retailers have already sold out of pre-orders of the Nintendo Wii U. The console's price and release date were announced only five days ago, and retailers quickly allowed consumers to pre-order the next-gen console, but if you missed the window, you might be out of luck for now.
The following retailers have sold out of the machine:
- GameStop: Although GameStop still is taking orders for the "Basic" Wii U, the Deluxe version is gone..
- Best Buy: Ditto Best Buy. You can still get the cheap version, but the expensive one is gone.
- Toys R Us: The toy retailer has sold out of both versions of the Wii U.
- Target: Target has no pre-order for the Wii U left.
- Sears: Old-School retailer Sears is sold out too.
- K-Mart: The K lists the device as "coming soon."
Wal-Mart is still offering the Wii U, so if you want to beat potential sales rushes around the holidays, jump on it.
Before you start regarding the pre-order sales of the Wii U as proof that the system will be a Wii-style blockbuster, keep in mind that pre-order sales don't really determine the future sales. It seems likely that quite a few of the Wii U pre-orders represent resellers attempting to profit on a Wii U holiday craze this year, and no one has publicly said how many pre-orders have sold from any of the companies listed above. But still, it has to make Nintendo happy that things are going as well as could be expected, when it comes to Wii U pre-orders.
Source: MTV Multiplayer