These Guild Wars 2 beginner tips will help you get your adventures in Tyria started on the right foot. Since Guild Wars 2 is such a massive game, we wanted to help make your experience a little less overwhelming. With these easy tips you'll be leveling faster, earning extra gold, and taking advantage of the great ways that Guild Wars 2 differentiates itself from other MMORPGs. Let's get started.
- Make sure to buy all the three gathering tools from a merchant as soon as possible. These include the mining pick, logging axe, and harvesting sickle. They’re really cheap and offer two benefits: Gathering items nets a ton of experience and the items you gather can all be used for crafting other items later on.
- DETAILS: Guild Wars 2 Warrior Profession Guide -- The Masters Of Weaponry
- Equipping different weapons in Guild Wars 2 changes which abilities you can use, so when first starting out, try out every weapon combination to see what you like best and to see what’s most effective against certain types of enemies.
- Combat in Guild Wars 2 is dynamic, meaning you can move around and dodge enemy attacks. Enemies hit pretty hard in GW2, so instead of tanking them head on make use of the game’s endurance mechanic which will allow you to dodge any incoming damage. To do so, you can press “V” when an attack is incoming, or you can double-tap in any direction.
- Don’t neglect your story quests! Not only do they give you insight in to what’s going on, but they’re the best source of experience early on and they reward you with excellent gear.
- Use the map to keep track of what’s left to do in a zone. In general, doing everything in a zone, including finding vistas and completing skill challenges is recommended, since completing it all will earn your character great experience, money, and items.
- FEATURE: Guild Wars 2 Beginner's Guide -- Exploring The World, Combat, And How To Survive
- After you’ve completed a heart, make sure to talk to the quest NPC. They’ll usually offer upgrades that you can purchase with the karma that you earned doing the quest. Additionally, it’s usually a good idea to stick around the area after you’ve completed an event since sometimes the quest leads to a follow-up event where you can earn even more experience, karma, and gold.
- You can deposit all of your collectibles and the things you’ve gathered to your bank from anywhere in the world using the gear symbol in your inventory. There are even extra tabs in your bank for the collectibles so you can find them easier.
- VIDEO: Guild Wars 2 Collector's Edition Unboxing Video
- Take advantage of crafting, especially if you’ve been gathering materials. Crafting nets tons of experience and you can create some really fantastic gear with it. Additionally, if you’re running low on bag space we recommend tailoring or leather working since you can create larger bags with those skills.
- A great way to accumulate more crafting materials is by salvaging gear. Merchants sell salvage kits that you should use on anything you pick up that you can't wear or any gear that you've replaced. However, you should save any Green Tier items you find to sell on the Trading Post.
- If you want an alternative way to play, Guild Wars 2’s PvP is available to you as soon as you finish your tutorial mission. To access PvP, bring up your Hero pane by pressing "H", go to the PvP tab, and select “Go To Heart of the Mists.” There, you’ll automatically be leveled to 80 and you can choose to participate in either structured PvP where you’ll gain glory and karma. Or, you can press "B" to access World vs. World PvP which will net you experience, gold, and karma.
- VIDEO: Guild Wars 2 Tutorial For Beginners
- When you hit level 11 make sure to visit your Profession’s trainer and buy your profession book which will allow you to level your traits. Traits, which you can access through your Hero Pane and clicking the skills and traits tab, are used to enhance your character's skills. You earn a trait point every level, so make sure to spend them every time you level up.
That’s all for now, but as we play through the massive game more I’m sure we’ll come up with some more tips for you. In the meantime, check out all of our Guild Wars 2 content including our Guild Wars 2 Warrior guide, the Guild Wars 2 Mesmer Guide, the Guild Wars 2 Elementalist Guide, the Guild Wars 2 Guardian Guide, the Guild Wars 2 Necromancer Guide, the Guild Wars 2 Engineer Guide, the Guild Wars 2 Ranger Guide, the Guild Wars 2 Thief Guide, and our Guild Wars 2 Beginners Guide and stay tuned for more Guild Wars 2 guides.