As you might have guessed from that collective “Holy crap!” you might have just heard, The Last of Us gameplay demo that was shown during Sony’s E3 2012 press conference was one WTF moment after another. There weren’t any huge new features revealed, but the gameplay provide more than enough little tidbits to hold us over until we see the game up close this week during E3.
We’ll have the full demo video up shortly, but in the meantime, here are some of the highlights that had our office whooping and hollering:
- I for one am a sucker for great character animations, and seeing how Joel and Ellie sidestep, put their hands up on cover in front of them, slip through windows, and choke fools to death were just too damn cool for words.
- The sound design is super crisp, bringing each gunshot, footstep, and enemy scream to your ears with terrifying clarity.
- The overgrown desolation of the game's setting couldn't be more enthralling, and the sense of scope is remarkable, especially since it's not an open-world game.
- Molotov cocktails have been confirmed, as demonstrated by Joel who torched a couple unfortunately flammable foes in the only way any self-respecting survivalist would.
- Melee takedowns are especially brutal, and they blend seamlessly into the action. At one point, Joel charged a shotgun-toting dude and instead of just grabbing from him, there was a super intense struggle between the two, giving the typically throwaway moment another level of intensity. Once Joel secured the weapon, he then beat the fool about the face with the butt of the shotgun until he was dead. But then things got even more heated when another enemy hit Joel from behind before tackling him roughly to the ground. As the two struggled for control of a pistol, Ellie came charging from behind and stabbed the enemy in the back. As the injured attacker flailed in pain on the ground, Joel took the opportunity to put a shotgun round into the dude’s face just as the demo cut to black.
There were plenty of other details worth discussing, but we'll have to wait until we can rewatch the demo to pick them out. In the meantime, be sure to check out our latest The Last of Us preview for more details.