Capcom has a very special treat for fighting game fans coming in fall 2012, an elaborate Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collector's Set that includes four of the series' recent releases and remakes along with a box full of fan-serving Stuff. This $149.99 beast will be available for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles on September 18.
The release is just one component of an ongoing anniversary celebration that also includes a global tournament with a more than $500,000 worth of cash and physical prizes. The ongoing tournament will conclude on December 8 in San Francisco, pitting winners from preliminary tournaments to be held throughout 2012 against one another.
The games packed into the custom-designed Collector's Set box are: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike Online Edition, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC), and Street Fighter X Tekken (with all character and Swap Costume DLC). Whew. There are also a bunch of other goodies packed into the box, starting with an 11-disc soundtrack and a pair of Blu-ray discs containing a documentary, both SF4 anime movies, all episodes of the SF animated series, and Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie.
In the realm of physical goods, fans will also find a 64-page hardcover art book, a light-up Ryu statue, a replica of Ryu's belt, and a certificate of authenticity. The belt alone makes this almost worth the asking price.
On the tournament side, Capcom has revealed the planned dates for preliminary tournaments leading up to the December showdown. Bear in mind that this is all subject to change:
- July 28-29 in Austin, TX
- August 11-12 in the NY area (location pending)
- August 26 in Taipei, Taiwan (location pending)
- Mid-September in the Tokyo Region, Japan (date and location pending)
- September 27-30 in London, England (in conjunction with Eurogamer Expo)
- October 13-14 in Sao Paulo, Brazil (in conjunction with Brazil Game Show)
- October 27-28 in Los Angeles, CA
- October 31 – November 4 in Paris, France (in conjunction with Paris Games Week)
- December 8 Finals in San Francisco, CA