The Nikon 1 J1 camera gives you the ability to take great pictures without dragging around an DSLR. With features like a high resolution 3" screen, 12 megapixel image sensor and the world's fastest auto-focus, this camera may be worth the $600 price tag. Kevin Pereira and Matt Mira take a closer look on Gadget Pr0n.
What You Need To Know
- The Nikon N1 J1 camera promises to take your pictures to the next level, complete with interchangeable lenses.
- This camera is made for someone looking to take a leap up from the point and shoot cameras.
- The lenses are interchangeable but right now, Nikon only has 4 different options to choose from.
- The lens that ships with this particular kit is 10-30 mm which really means you're getting about a 3x zoom.
- The body of this is slim but smooth with no grip for your shooting hand, other than a small bit of textured rubber next to the shooting dial.
- The top also has very little tactile feedback to differentiate between the shooting button and the record button.
- There is a high resolution 3" LCD and pop up flash and we didn't really find ourselves missing a view finder.
- The LCD is great and is really one of the best we've seen in a long time.
- The flash pops out of the body but you are limited to a shutter speed of 1/60, which can be a problem for those trying to freeze any really fast action without optimal lighting.
- There aren’t as many shooting modes as we've seen with other mirror-less systems.
- In fact, the shooting dial looks kind of sparse with just 4 modes.
- There are a couple odd shooting modes, like motion snapshot, which records a still image and a 60 fps video clip, combines them, adds music and then saves it at 24 fps for slow motion playback.
- The camera can shoot 1080p at 30 or 60 fps.
- It even has a slow motion setting where it can capture video at 400 and at a whopping 1200 fps.
- It was actually a very cool feature to see on what is essentially a point and shoot.
- One caveat is that you can only shoot 5 seconds of footage at a time.
- Regular speed video looks great on this camera and the image was really sharp.
- Color reproduction was very good with excellent saturation.
- The camera records stereo sound and has a wind filter to cut down on wind sound.
- Aside from shooting modes, this camera has a 10 megapixel sensor which is not as high as some cheaper Nikon cameras we've used.
- Noise performance wasn't the best but it was still very good, even in low light.
- We played with the macro settings and were able to get some great shots, even while fumbling around with the focus selector on the LCD.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- The Nikon 1 J1 is a very good camera that takes excellent pictures.
- However, it's a bit pricey and the shooting options are a little too complicated for novices and not customizable enough for advanced shooters.
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to email@example.com.