Popular torrent website TorrentFreak has listed the top 10 most pirated games of 2011 for the PC, Wii, and Xbox 360 consoles. Coming in at number one for the PC was none other than Crytek's Crysis 2 at 3.9 million downloads. A full copy of Crysis 2 was leaked way back in February, but it wasn't until the game's March release date that the downloads came in droves. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 came in at a close second with 3.6 million downloads.
On the Xbox 360 side of things, Gears of War 3 was the most pirated title with 890,000 downloads, followed again by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. On the Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2 held the top spot at 1.2 million downloads, followed by Mario Sports Mix at 1 million downloads. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword didn't make the chart, but probably because it wasn't out long enough to make an appearance.
After the break you'll find the list of the top 10 pirated games of 2011.
- Crysis 2 (3,920,000) (Mar. 2011)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000) (Nov. 2011)
- Battlefield 3 (3,510,000) (Oct. 2011)
- FIFA 12 (3,390,000) (Sept. 2011)
- Portal 2 (3,240,000) (Apr. 2011)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000) (May. 2010)
- Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000) (Feb. 2011)
- Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000) (Aug. 2011 EU)
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000) (May. 2011)
- FIFA 12 (860,000) (Sept. 2011)
Xbox 360 Games:
- Gears of War 3 (890,000) (Sep. 2011)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000) (Nov. 2011)
- Battlefield 3 (760,000) (Oct. 2011)
- Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000) (Oct. 2011)
- Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000) (Oct. 2011)
I'll let you do the math and figure out just how much money developers and publishers missed out on due to the piracy of these games. Hopefully we'll see some new business models in 2012 that will help alleviate piracy this year.