The 27-inch iMac is both sleek and stylish with its aluminum design, quad-core processors, FaceTime HD camera and more. Kevin Pereira and Candace Bailey review the features in this all-in-one desktop from Apple, like the LED-backlit display, wireless connectivity and up to three times faster graphics.
What You Need To Know
- The aluminum design of the iMac is striking.
- The 27" glossy screen is the biggest you can get with an all-in-one.
- The display has a good amount of tilt to it, which will help if you are worried about glare.
- The screen itself is bright and vibrant, with very good color reproduction.
- There is an SD card sot next to the optical drive.
- The back has 4 USB ports, 1 Firewire 800 port and 2 Thunderbolt ports.
- Thunderbolt can handle 10 GBs each way, making it twice as fast as USB 3.0.
- While there are currently many more USB 3.0 peripherals, we are starting to see more Thunderbolt peripherals hitting the market.
- The 27-inch iMac ships with Lion so if you don't have it already, you are going to have to get used to the backwards scrolling.
- If the Magic Mouse isn't magical enough for you, you have the option of ordering it with the magic track pad.
- Backwards scrolling started with the Lion OS and it can be extremely frustrating at first.
- The scrolling is just like an iPhone: swipe down to scroll up and vice versa.
- Lion seems like it was built in anticipation of a touch screen interface.
- The iMac is slim and powerful and this model has a quad core i7 processor so it can handle almost anything you throw at it.
- These machines can handle heavy work loads with the best of them.
- This is a 3.4 GHz i7 processor along with a 1 GB graphics AMD Radeon processor.
- The iMac comes with 4 GB of RAM and though Apple is normally stingy with RAM, it's fine because their RAM is usually overpriced.
- This iMac will handle up to 16 GB of RAM thanks to its 4 RAM slots.
- Extra RAM is cheap online and easy to install.
- Starts at $1,799 and the model we reviewed hear is $2,300.
- 5 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- The screen is gorgeous.
- The aluminum construction sets this apart from other manufacturers.
- There is plenty of power in here for anything you want to do.
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.