Getting married, whether in a video game or real life, is a joyous occasion. This is why we wanted to create a Skyrim marriage guide so you, and a spouse, can enjoy everything that The Elder Scrolls 5 has to offer, together. However, just like real marriage, there’s a process in which you need to follow before you can wed that lucky man, or woman, or…thing. First we'll go over how to get married and then we'll introduce you to all the bachelors and bachelorettes in Skyrim.
First things first: You're going to need a pendant called the Amulet of Mara. Lucky for you, there are quite a variety of ways to get one:
- Buy it from Maramel at either the Bee and Bard or the Temple of Mara in Riften for 200 gold. (I would recommend just spending the 200 gold and doing it this way. It's much easier than all of the other means of getting one).
- Found in a chest at the beginning of the main quest line in Bleak Falls Barrow.
- Found as random loot during the The Book of Love quest given by Dinya Balu in Riften.
- At Reachcliff Cave there's a chance for an Amulet to be in the chest in the final room.
- Found in a tent on a beach North of Dawnstar.
- Looted from Kematu in Swindler's Den.
Once you get an Amulet of Mara more dialogue options will be unlocked if you're wearing it and have done the quest(s) relating to the NPC you're trying to marry. Chat up your NPC and tell them that you want to marry him or her or it.
Next, you have to go to the Temple of Mara in Riften and take to Maramal about planning the wedding. Then you have to wait 24 hours and meet your spouse-to-be at the altar. Go through the ceremony if you wish, but if you back out then your spouse-to-be will hate you forever and you'll ruin your chances with them. If you do get married then you'll get an enchanted wedding ring and get to go back to your house!
Actually I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here. Once you're married you need to talk to your new bride or groom and discuss where you want to live. If you have a house then you can make it your marital home, but if you don't then you can use their house to do married people things. Once you've made this decision your spouse will be at the house the next time you decide to visit.
Why would you want to get married? Well, for a few reasons. First off, they'll give you 100 gold per day, and it accumulates up to a maximum of 2,200 gold which is nice. Next, sleeping with them gives you a "Lover's Comfort" buff (I'm serious) that increases the speed of all upgrades by 15% for eight hours. But the best part is that once a day they'll cook you a Homemade Meal which gives you a health, magicka, and stamina boost for a limited time. After a long day of adventuring it's nice to come home to a hot meal. Finally, you can buy and sell items from your spouse.
Now that you know why you should get married in Skyrim, here's a list of all the lucky bachelors and bachelorettes for you to choose from:
Female Marriage Prospects:
- Aela the Huntress – Nord, found in a farm outside of Whiterun.
- Aeri – Nord, found in the Pale inside her house.
- Anwen – Redguard, found in Markarth Temple.
- Avrusa Sarethi – Dark Elf, found in the Sarethi farm in the Rift.
- Borghak the Steel Heart – Orc, found in Mor Khazgur.
- Brelyna Maryon – Dark Elf, found in the College of Winterhold.
- Camilla Valerius – Imperial, found in Riverwood.
- Dravynea the Stoneweaver – Dark Elf, found in Kyne’s Grove.
- Ghorza gra-Bagol – Orc, found in Markarth.
- Gilfre – Imperial, found in Mixwater Mill in Eastmarch.
- Grelka – Nord, found in Riften.
- Iona – Nord, found in Riften.
- Jenassa – Dark Elf, found in the Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun.
- Jordis the Sword-Maiden – Nord, found in Proudspire Manor in Solitude.
- Lydia – Nord, found in Dragonsreach in Whiterun.
- Mjoll the Lioness – Nord, found in her house in Riften.
- Muiri – Breton, found in The Hag’s Cure in Markarth.
- Njada Stonearm – Nord, found in the Companion’s Faction House in Whiterun.
- Orla – Nord, found in the Temple of Dibella in Markarth.
- Ria – Imperial, found in the Companion’s Faction House in Whiterun.
- Senna – Imperial, found in the Temple of Dibella in Markarth.
- Shahvee – Argonian, found outside Windhelm.
- Sylgja – Nord, found in Shor’s Stone.
- Taarie – High Elf, found in Solitude.
- Temba Wide-Arm – Nord, found in Ivarstead.
- Uthgerd – Nord, found in her house in Whiterun.
- Viola Giordano – Imperial, found in Windhelm in Eastmarch.
- Ysolda – Nord, found in Whiterun.
Male Marriage Prospects:
- Ainethach – Breton, found in Karthwasten Hall in Karthwasten.
- Angrenor Once-Honored – Nord, found in Candlehearth Hall in Windhelm.
- Argis the Bulwark – Nord, found in Vlindrel Hall in Markarth.
- Athis – Dark Elf, found in the Jorrvaskr Living Quarters in Whiterun.
- Balimund – Nord, found in The Scorched Hammer in Riften.
- Belrand – Nord, found in The Winking Skeever in Solitude.
- Benor – Nord, found in Morthal.
- Calder – Nord, found in Hjerim in Windhelm.
- Cosnach – Breton, found in The Warrens in Markarth.
- Derkeethus – Argonian, found in Darkwater Pass.
- Erik the Slayer – Nord, found in Frostfruit Inn in Rorikstead.
- Farkas – Nord, found in the Brill and Vignar in Whiterun.
- Filnjar – Nord, found in his house in Shor’s Stone.
- Gat gro-Shargakh – Orc, found in Pavo’s House in Kolskeggr Mine.
- Ghorbash the Iron Hand – Orc, found in Burguk’s Longhouse in Dushnikh Yal.
- Marcurio – Imperial, found in Riften.
- Moth gro-Bagol – Orc, found in Understone Keep in Markarth.
- Octieve San – Breton, found in Solitude.
- Omluag – Breton, found in The Warrens in Markarth.
- Onmund – Nord, found in The Hall of Attainment in the College of Winterhold.
- Pavo Attius – Imperial, found in his house in Kolskeggr Mine.
- Perth – Breton, found in the Miner’s House in Soljund’s Sinkhole.
- Quintus Navale – Imperial, found in White Phial Services in Windhelm.
- Revyn Sadri – Dark Elf, found in Sadri’s Used Wares in Windhelm.
- Roggi Knot-Beard – Nord, found in Steamscorch Mine in Kyne’s Grove.
- Romlyn Dreth – Dark Elf, found in his house in Riften.
- Scouts-Many-Marshes – Argonian, found in the Argonian Assemblage in Windhelm.
- Sondas Drenim – Dark Elf, found in Goldenrock Mine in Darkwater Crossing.
- Sorex Vinius – Imperial, found in Solitude.
- Stenvar – Nord, found in Windhelm.
- Torvar – Nord, found in the Companion’s Faction House in Whiterun.
- Vilkas – Nord, found in the Companion’s Faction House in Whiterun.
- Vorstag – Nord, found in Markarth.
- Wilhelm – Nord, found in Ivarstead.
So now that you know everything about getting married in Skyrim, are you going to make that commitment to one of the eligible candidates above? Let us know who you choose, and if you find married life more or less satisfying than being a single adventurer.
Special thanks to GameFront!