The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm patch 4.3, Hour of Twilight is the one we've all been waiting for. It introduces new dungeon content, a raid finder, transmogrification, void storage, new achievements, class changes, an updated Darkmoon Faire, and of course, the long awaited Dragon Soul raid where the legendary Deathwing Encounter will take place. With the help of MMO-Champion we've digested all of the information for you in this handy guide, but first check out this footage from Patch 4.3 featuring all of the awesome content that awaits you.
Be sure to check after the jump for our breakdown on all of the great additions coming to World of Warcraft in patch 4.3.
Similar to the Looking For Dungeon tool, the brand new raid finder allows players to quickly and easily form a pick-up raid "for a specially tuned version of the current tier of endgame content". No longer will you have to stay in town and look for a raid group to run with. Now you can just join a queue and continue with whatever else you want to be doing, and once the raid finder finds the perfect composition for the dungeon you're interested in you'll get to jump right there to fight for all the epics you could ever want.
The raid finder also allows you to change the dungeon difficulty to make bosses easier for pickup groups who may not be able to coordinate as well as a standard 25-man guild group can.
New Raid Instance: Dragon Soul
Patch 4.3 introduces the Dragon Soul raid instance to World of Warcraft: Cataclysm where you'll finally have the chance to face Deathwing himself. The Dragon Soul will feature eight bosses and as usual, with a new raid instance, a new tier of armor sets are being released.
For a full list of all of the epic loot and tier armor sets that you can grab from the Dragon Soul raid you should check out MMO Champion's Dragon Soul raid loot compilation.
Three New 5-Man Instances
The Hour of Twilight patch doesn't just come with the Dragon Soul raid instance, it also comes with three new Caverns of Time instances: End Time, The Well of Eternity, and The Hour of Twilight. Like the five-player content from Icecrown Citadel in
, players will have to quest through these dungeons sequentially in order to unlock access to them in the dungeon finder.
First up we've got End Time. While the name may sound a bit silly, the instance is no joke. It shows the bleak future of Azeroth should you fail to stop Deathwing. According to Blizzard, "In order for Nozdormu to provide you the ability to travel back in time to a point before the Dragon Soul was hidden by Malfurion Stormrage from anyone who’d seek its power, you must first go to a distant and desolate future to discover the anomaly blocking the past." The instance takes place in a desolate Dragonblight where only Wyrmrest Temple stands as a remind of Deathwing's madness.
With the gateway to the past open after completing the End Time instance, The Well of Eternity instance will open up. It takes place ten thousand years ago in the night elf capital city of Zin-Azshari and goes through the events of the Highborne opening a portal into the Twisting Nether to allow the Burning Legion to invade Azeroth. Players will get to assist Tyrande and Illidan in a battle against the Highborne and Burning Legion.
Finally, in the Hour of Twilight instance players must escort Thrall and the Dragon Soul safely to Wyrmrest Temple in order to rendezvous with the green, blue, and red dragonflights. However, in order to get to the temple you'll have to face off against the members of the Twilight Hammer who have brought out their strongest forces to intercept the Dragon Soul at any cost.
Transmogrification is a new feature coming to World of Warcraft that allows you to change the appearance of any piece of equipment with the look of another piece of gear you own. It's a simple little cosmetic addition that will let you raid in current gear with approriate stats for the content, but now you'll be able wear items that you actually like the look of. However, there are a few caveats to the system:
"In general, only items that have stats can be used in the transmogrification process. You must also be able to wear both items when using this service. Ethereals don’t have much in the way of ethics, but allowing someone to appear as if they’re equipping unusable items crosses the line. Similarly, they won’t allow you to change weapon or armor types. Sneaky death knights can’t make that breastplate look like a cloth robe, and you can’t make a one-handed axe look like a two-handed axe, or transform a sword’s appearance into that of a mace. Guns, bows, and crossbows will be the exception to this rule. You will finally be able to retain your dwarf’s racial gun bonus while appearing with all the splendor and elegance of a bow wielder (or at least the relative silence of one)."
Void Storage is a brand new bank feature that will offer your character 80 extra slots of storage for your treasured armor sets, unique quest rewards, and other valuables you've collected throughout your journey in Azeroth.
It will cost 100 gold to unlock and you have to pay 25 gold to deposit each item, but withdrawing it is free. Can you say gold sink? Also, you can only store soulbound items, and you can't store stackable items. According to Blizzard, the Void Storage isn't meant to be a second bank, "but rather a place where players can safely store items they wish to keep for the life of the game, either for sentimental or aesthetic reasons." Any item placed in Void Storage will lose all of its enchantments, gems, sockets, and reforged stats.
Additionally, patch 4.3 is implementing a search feature that will let you find items in your bag, bank, and void storage vault quickly and easily. Finally, you won't have to spend 15 minutes looking for that stupid pet you want to store anymore, you can just pluck it out of your bag with the search feature.
The Darkmoon Faire has been completely remade and now has its very own zone. You can enter it through the portals where the old Darkmoon Faire used to be. Once you enter you'll be able to buy tokens that will then be used to play all of the minigames that the Faire has to offer.
These minigames consist of:
- A target shooting game where you have to score 25 points in 60 seconds.
- The "Tonk Commander" game, where you have to shoot 30 targets with your Tonk in a set amount of time.
- A ring tossing game, the goal is to toss rings on the turtle in the playing area.
- The Darkmoon Cannon is still here, and will require you to trigger a skill while you fly to land and hit a target on the ground/water.
- The new "Whack-a-gnoll" mini-game will let you test your reflexes and ... well, whack gnolls.
- The Darkmoon Deathmatch Arena, the name pretty much says it all. Any player entering the Arena will be flagged for PvP and able to fight any other players already there.
- Profession quests, rewarding you with tickets and a +5 bonus to your profession skill.
- Last but not least, L90ETC gives a concert every hour!
All of the games will reward you with Darkmoon Prize Tickets that you can spend on various rewards like classic dungeon armor sets, joke items, mounts, heirloom items and companion pets. Aside from these rewards, the faire will also come complete with a zoo, a firework vendor, and a balloon vendor.
Other New Features
There are quite a lot of other new implementations that you might want to check out. Here they are:
- Rogues finally can acquire legendary daggers! As a Rogue, let me just say, hell yeah! The daggers are called Golad, Twilight of Aspects and Tiriosh, Nightmare of Ages.There will be 18 new mounts introduced in the patch which are all acquired through different means. So far we know that some are from raids, some are from the new Darkmoon Faire, one is from arena, and a few will be available through the World of Warcraft trading card game. There's also the Tyrael Charger mount that you can get for signing up for the WoW annual pass, which also gets you a free copy of Diablo 3.
- Aside from 18 new mounts, there will also be 15 new companion pets added in this patch. We know that most are from the new Darkmoon Faire, a few are from the World of Warcraft trading card game, and one you can get via the Diablo 3 collector's edition. The others you'll be able to acquire through various means, but we're not sure what those are just yet. My favorite is the Darkmoon cub.
- For the PvPers among us, Season 11 will be starting shortly after the release of Patch 4.3 and you'll be able to get all new sets of armor and pvp gear.
- You'll also be able to earn Conquest points from regular battleground victories now, and the amount of the CP has been "considerably increased."
And there you have it! A lot of pretty cool stuff coming for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm's 4.3 content patch. For a list of all of the class and dungeon balance changes you can visit the official World of Warcraft patch notes website.
Special thanks to MMO-Champion!
Have something to share? You can find me on Twitter!