The excruciatingly difficult Dark Souls has shipped an impressive 1.5 million copies according to FromSoftware and Namco Bandai. Here's the breakdown by region:
- Japan: Released on 9/22, 370,000 shipped
- North America: Released on 10/4, 620,000 shipped
- Europe: Released on 10/7, 470,000 shipped
- Asia: Released on 10/18, 40,000 shipped
Also, the Dark Souls 1.04 Patch for the PlayStation 3 version of the game just landed today in Japan. Check after the break for the full details.
The Patch Notes are on the Japanese Dark Souls website, but NeoGAF member Duckroll translated them to English. No mention of when the patch will hit for Western audiences or the Xbox 360, but here's what you can eventually look forward to.
- Some magic effects have been revised. (Magic Shield, Greater Magic Shield, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Ring of Fog, Iron Flesh)
- Elemental enhanced and Stat enhanced weapons have been rebalanced.
- Some slight adjustments have been made to other weapons, equipment, and magic. (Pyromancer's Flame's magic adjustment)
- Matching and multiplayer conditions have been adjusted.
- Defeating a boss in multiplayer will now reward the host with the full amount of souls from the boss.
- When failing to invade a player's world using the Cracked Red Eye Orb, the item will no longer be used up.
- Adjustments to the amount of suols dropped by enemies.
- Adjustments to the item drops from enemies.
- Some bosses will drop Humanity and Homeward Bones now.
- Increased Drop rates for certain Covenant items and Equipment Enhancement materials which had extremely low drop rates.
- Adjusted the Item Discovery increase rate which scales with Humanity levels.
- Item lists in shops have been adjusted. (Bottomless Box added to Male Undead Merchant. Bunch of arrows added to Female Undead Merchant, Andrei, Domnhall, Giant Blacksmith, and Vamos. Domnhall will sell the Master Key after he moves to the Firelink Shrine. Giant and Vamos both sell the various equipment boxes. Giant sells a bunch of shards now. Vamos sells Titanite Shards. Ingward sells Transient Curse.)
- The amount of Faith required to join the Sunlight Covenant is now 25 instead of 50. The formula for reducing it with multiplayer remains the same.
- Paying for your sins is now cheaper. The formula is Level x 500 souls, instead of Level x 2000 souls previously.
- Equipment Weight adjustments.
- Lock-on behavior has been adjusted.
- Fixed certain cases of game freezing.
- Changed the way souls are displayed in the Level Up Menu.
- Fixed the exploit with infinite weapon/magic usage.
- Fixed the 1 second delay during certain attack animations.
- Fixed the bug where Solaire isn't in New Game+.
- Fixed the shard bug with Frampt which took away all your shards if you had more than 99.
- Fixed getting stuck in certain parts of the map, being unable to progress.
- Changed some English text in the game to be consistent with corrections made in the overseas version of the game.
Overall this patch seems to address major balance issues that had a lot of community members complaining. Needless to say they'll probably still be moaning after this patch, but not nearly as loud.
Did you purchase Dark Souls, and if so are you going to be creating a new character when this patch hits to try the experience again?