The Olympus PEN Series E-Pl3 DSLR packs a TruePic VI image processor, 12.3 mega pixels and 1080P HD video, all for $700. Chris Hardwick and Candace Bailey review the digital camera for its Gadget Pr0n rating.
What You Need to Know
- The PEN E-Pl3 is the newest micro four-thirds camera from Olympus.
- It has a 3” adjustable screen with no viewfinder and weighs just over 9 ozs.
- It's smooth, but perhaps a little too smooth and the size is perfect for throwing into your bag.
- We do miss the rubber grip on the old Olympus.
- There is HDMI and USB AV Out, so you can connect it right to your TV and it comes bundled with a removable flash.
- The LCD is adjustable; you can tilt it down which is good for if you’re trying to shoot something above a crowd, like a concert.
- It also tilts the other way, which is great if you are trying to take your own crotch shots.
- This has what Olympus is billing as the world's fastest auto-focus and it is noticeably faster than previous models.
- The art filters still look cool and make even your crappiest angles look un-crappy.
- You can even shoot a photo in 3D and take two pictures at slightly different angles and the camera processes them as MPO files.
- The pictures look great!
- The colors are bright and vivid, provided the lighting is great.
- Outside the colors popped and the 12.3 megapixel clarity is clear.
- The pictures really do look as good as a DSLR.
- It has a high ISO, so you're getting more detail in low light than most micro four-thirds cameras.
- The 1080p video is pretty good; it’s a big step up over the E-Pl2 with minimal motion blur.
- 4 Seals of Approval Out of 5 (How do we rate gadgets?)
- It takes great photos and the video quality has improved.
- The art filters are fun.
- The price is what is holding this back; if it were $200 less we would have gone higher.
- The price really puts you in DSLR range.
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to email@example.com.