The MSI GT683 gaming laptop packs NVIDIA GTX 560M graphics, up to 16 GB of RAM and Intel’s Quadcore i7 processor in a 2" thick case. Kevin Pereira and Candace Bailey review the ultimate portable gaming laptop that retails for $1,500.
What You Need To Know
- The MSI GT683 gaming laptop is on the heavy side and weighs a little less than 8 lbs (though it's not the heaviest laptop we've reviewed).
- There lights on the side and front are a little dorky so if you lug this around to the coffee shop, expect some stares.
- The lights can be turned off on the touch panel.
- The MSI GT683 features useful touch buttons above the keyboard, like increasing the resolution, brightening the screen, a fan button to cool the lap and another one to squeeze an extra 5% out of the graphics card.
- The buttons are responsive but we're not 100% sold on how useful they are.
- The keyboard is full sized, with plenty of room for big hands.
- The touchpad is cramped: the left and right buttons both require extra finger strength.
- Since the GT683 is a gaming laptop, you'll probably be using a mouse instead of the touchpad anyway.
- Games on the MSI laptop looked and sounded really good: Witcher 2 on the high graphic settings looked incredible and played great, with no noticeable drop in frame rate.
- The two speakers are much better than we're used to and they put out surprisingly good sound.
- The laptop also comes with a sub-woofer along the bottom, so you have decent bass for your tunes and games.
- The MSI laptop came out on top against other laptops in the same price range in our 2D and 3D Benchmarks.
- The only gaming laptop to score better in the 3D test costs thousands of dollars more.
- $1,500 with 1 TB of storage and 12 GB of RAM.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- If you're on a budget but still want a high performance gaming on the go, the MSI GT683 is a great value!
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.