The Samsung RF711-S02 notebook packs an Intel Core i7 processor, NVIDIA GT540M graphics and a Samsung solid state drive in a slim 1.5" thick design. Kevin Pereira and Candace Bailey test out the $950 notebook for its official Gadget Pr0n rating.
What You Need to Know
- This 1.5” laptop is slimmer than most and it's also much wider than a normal laptop.
- The wider screen means you wind up with lots of extra real estate for multimedia apps like video editing, or Photoshop.
- Movies and games look great on the LED back-lit screen.
- The extra width also gets you a full-sized keyboard and a number pad, which is a nice bonus.
- It has three USB ports and full HDMI out so you can connect it to most TVs for watching movies or surfing the web.
- The disc drive is only DVD read write and not Blu-ray.
- Even without the Blu-ray, it's still a good all-purpose laptop.
- It performed as well or better than other laptops in this price range, but we tested two versions of this laptop.
- The $950 one had a standard hard drive.
- This one here has a 256 GB Samsung 470 Series solid state hard drive installed, which means no moving parts; it increases the total price to about $1,400.
- As expected, both laptops performed about the same when we ran our 3D gaming benchmarks; games looked and played great on the medium settings.
- The upgraded laptop far outperformed other laptops in its class at things like booting up, launching applications, and loading games; it cold boots to the desktop in about 20 seconds and most applications launched nearly instantly.
- The Samsung RF711 starts at $950, but we're recommending that you install a Samsung solid state drive to get the most out of it with the faster drive.
- This laptop is a great value; the extra 256 GB solid state drive is about $400 and is easy to install yourself or save some money and add a smaller 128 GB drive for about $200.
- You can get one starting at $950 and upgrade from there.
- 4 Seals of Approval Out of 5 (How do we rate gadgets?)
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.