The Samsung Chromebook Series 5 is just another step in Google's plan to take over the Internet! With Chrome OS, a 16 GB solid state drive and weighing only 3.3 lbs, the Chromebook is portable and fast. Kevin Pereira and Candace Bailey check out the $430 netbook for its official rating.
What You Need To Know:
- The Samsung Chromebook Series 5 is nice and slim: the keyboard feels very Mac-like with handy shortcut keys along the top for quick access to volume controls, brightness levels and full screen.
- The Samsung's touchpad feels good: features include the two finger scroll and the whole surface is clickable.
- The Series 5 comes with 16 GB of onboard storage, so you can save files locally like a netbook.
- The Chromebook runs on Google's Chrome OS, which means everything runs inside a web browser.
- The Chrome web store lets you install apps and games, which in some cases, only means adding a shortcut to a web page.
- Installing apps and games can also mean installing data to the hard drive so they can be used offline.
- The problem is that it's unclear when an installed app will work offline.
- Hulu works great but there's no Netflix streaming support yet in Chrome OS.
- Most of the performance issues we ran into were on Flash based sites.
- Booting the Chromebook Series 5 is incredibly fast, thanks to the solid state drive; we were up and running in about 10 seconds each time.
- As with most netbooks, 720p videos are watchable but you'll probably want to stick to 480p; don't even think about 1080p.
- As for games, there's a broad selection available but we hope you like Angry Birds and Othello.
- The Chromebook Series 5 comes with Wi-fi only or wi-fi plus 4G for only $70 more.
- We thought the 3G connectivity was worth it because the Chrome OS can be limited offline.
- $430 for wi-fi only
- $499 for wi-fi and 3G connectivity.
- 2 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- Chrome OS still has some kinks that need to be worked out and because of its limitations, it's hard to recommend the Chromebook over another similarly priced Windows 7 netbook or iPad.
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.