The Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY is a feature rich phone with a 4" touch screen, Android 2.3 OS, dual cameras and a game controller to take on PlayStation certified games anywhere you want! Chris Hardwick and Kevin Pereira take a look at the ultimate gaming phone that retails for $100 with a contract.
What You Need To Know
- The Xperia PLAY is obviously bigger than most smartphones because of the slide out game pad.
- As a smartphone, the Xperia PLAY has the latest version of Android (2.3 AKA Gingerbread) which works really well.
- The 4" touch screen is very responsive and maybe even more than other Android phones we've used.
- The 2.3 upgrade is a definite improvement where everything feels faster and more efficient.
- The phone is fast enough to handle PlayStation certified games without any lag.
- You'll have a smooth gaming experience practically all the time, whether you're playing Splinter Cell, Brothers in Arms, Guitar Hero or Asphalt 6 racing.
- There were a few times we dropped frames but it wasn't a major problem.
- The loading times for games are also a little long but not unbearable.
- The game selection for the Xperia PLAY is pretty good: the phone comes preloaded with Madden NFL 11, The Sims 3 and Crash Bandicoot.
- They added 10 more games over the weekend to the Marketplace so we hope they keep it up.
- The slide out controller is an improvement when playing games and compared to the touch screen.
- The Xperia Play controller is just like the PlayStation controller, complete with directional pad, two touch joysticks and shoulder buttons.
- Everything works just the way you want it, except for the touch joysticks, which seem to be a little inaccurate.
- Overall, the slide-out pad should give you more control than a touch screen.
- The dual cameras (front and rear facing) look okay: the rear camera is only 5 megapixels and tends to overexpose with the flash on.
- Otherwise, normal pictures with the rear camera are fine.
- The front facing camera is VGA quality, which is mediocre at best.
- $100 with a contract on Amazon Wireless.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- Having an Android phone with this many features at only $100 is a steal.
- If it had 4G connectivity, we would have rated the phone 5 out of 5!
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.