Happy Geek Pride Day, everyone! I generally refer to myself as a nerd but today I (and you if you're on this site) am a geek. Geek Pride Day has been celebrated since 2006, celebrating the premiere of the first Star Wars film in 1977. Today let's talk about why it's so awesome to be a geek and some of your fondest memories that have come from being passionate about geeky things like Star Wars or even your favorite video game console. For me? I've met some of my very best friends through MMORPGs (some who I've never even met in real life) and eSports and I'd never give those relationships up which most people find pretty geek-tastic of me. What about you? Share your thoughts and be sure to spread some geek pride today!
Also, according to ForeverGeek every geek is entitled to a few rights today as long as they uphold a few responsibilities. Check after the break to read them.
1. The right to be even geekier.
2. The right to not leave your house.
3. The right to not have a significant other and to be a virgin.
4. The right to not like football or any other sport.
5. The right to associate with other nerds.
6. The right to have few friends (or none at all).
7. The right to have all the geeky friends that you want.
8. The right to not be “in-style.”
9. The right to be overweight and have poor eyesight.
10. The right to show off your geekiness.
11. The right to take over the world.
If we have rights, then we have responsibilities as well:
1. Be a geek, no matter what.
2. Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
3. If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
4. Save any and all geeky things you have.
5. Do everything you can to show off your geeky stuff as though it were a “museum of geekiness.”
6. Don’t be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
7. Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
8. Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
9. Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
10. Befriend any person or persons bearing any physical similarities to comic book or sci-fi figures.
11. Try to take over the world!