Call of Duty: Black Ops (or "Cod Blops," as I like to call it) has made over a billion dollars for Activision. You could buy over 17 hamburgers with that kind of money!
"In all of entertainment, only Call of Duty and Avatar have ever achieved the billion dollar revenue milestone this quickly," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, in a highly self-congratulatory statement. "This is a tribute to the global appeal of the Call of Duty franchise, the exceptional talent at Treyarch and the hundreds of extraordinary people across our many Call of Duty studios including Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer that work tirelessly on the franchise.”
Because a billion is a lot of dollars, I've compiled some stats to help you get your puny mind around that number's large-osity:
- If someone gave you a dollar, every second, 24 hours a day, it would take over 30 years to add up to a billion.
- A billion seconds ago, it was the 1950s.
- A billion hours ago, Christ was alive.
- A billion months ago, there were dinosaurs.
- If you started counting from one, right now, it would take you around 95 years to reach a billion.
A billion is a lot.