Kevin Pereira and Alison Haislip review the affordable Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1 home theater system that features 4 HDMI inputs that are 3D ready, a 1200 Watt system with 7 speakers and an iPod dock. Find out if this home theater system offers a solid performance for its $400 price tag.
What You Need To Know
- The front and center speakers are a little over a foot long.
- The other four satellites are just under that size.
- The subwoofer is about a foot and a half tall.
- Overall, it has a big, blocky feel to it with no removable grills.
- This system comes with a full blown receiver that as all the connections you need.
- It has 4 HDMIs that are 3D ready, 2 digital audio video inputs, 2 component video ins, and 4 composite video inputs.
- It'll pass video and audio through HDMI.
- All these inputs and outputs should be overkill for most people.
- They also have an onscreen menu to change settings, which isn't something all receivers have.
- It's a huge help because the menus are so complicated.
- We did have to consult the owner's manual a couple of times to figure out how to configure our speakers and sound.
- There is no auto-calibration option.
- The system sounds good: lows and mids sound great but we felt like there wasn't enough treble represented.
- Since this is a 7.1 system, you're enveloped in sound and we would have liked to hear more discreet sounds coming from each speaker.
- It does get incredibly loud without overloading.
- Overall, we were pleased.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- The amount of system of you get for the money is great. There's even an iPod dock!
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to email@example.com.