When it comes to a high quality DSLR, look no further than Nikon and their new D3100 with a 14.2 megapixel sensor, EXPEED 2 image processor and video recording. Kevin Pereira and Milynn Sarley explore the $650 DSLR kit to review its new digital photography features.
What You Need To know
- This camera is actually on the lighter side of normal sized DSLRs.
- The body only weighs about a pound and it measures 5" across.
- The grip makes the camera fit easily in your hand, which makes it easy to carry around and use.
- It may look intimidating with a lot of buttons, but these make the camera really easy to use.
- Nikon added shortcuts like the Drive Mode Switch, which makes it simple to change to continuous shooting or self-timer.
- One thing is that the camera is a little laggy between the time it takes to turn on and shoot, as well as between shots.
- The same goes for Burst shooting, which is a little slow.
- There's also a Guide Mode which helps beginners learn how to use a DSLR, HD video recording and Live View Mode, all of which work pretty well.
- The Guide Mode only gets better with each new Nikon we review; they make it easier than ever to perform simple tasks like taking a good close-up shot or more advanced stuff like bringing more into focus.
- The HD video looks great. You can shoot at a resolution of up to 1080p, the colors are vibrant and you have manual exposure control.
- Overall, this is some of the best video we've seen from a DSLR in this class.
- Live View Mode takes advantage of the bright 3" LCD but picture taking is a little slower since the shutter has to open twice.
- The image quality lived up to our expectations.
- Normal light photos look spectacular with accurate color reproduction coupled with vibrancy and sharp detail.
- Low light photos are also good. Occasionally, you might get some blur in your shots but the flash exposes evenly.
- Overall, the pictures looked better than we thought they would.
- $650 with a lens.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5 (How do we rate gadgets?)
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to email@example.com.