Gaming laptop power meets unprecedented audio quality in the MSI GT660 laptop that offers an Intel Core i7 processor, up to 12 GB of RAM, and Dynaudio sound technology for around $1,450. Kevin Pereira and Candace Bailey find out if this laptop meets your gaming needs.
What You Need To Know
- The GT660 is a typical size for a gaming laptop: it's a little heavy at 8 lbs and measures over 2" thick.
- It also has LED lights that will light up according to the sounds you hear.
- Sometimes, finding a laptop that's comfortable for long periods of gaming is tough because of the heat issues and wrist placement, but the MSI wasn't too bad.
- The wrist area is right next to the track pad which might bother you a little bit, but we got used to it.
- The side and back vents get pretty hot while gaming, but you can ramp up the fans manually so it won't overheat.
- Ramping up the fans makes it pretty loud, but overall, we enjoyed playing on it.
- In addition to the NVIDIA GTX 285M video cards and 6 GB of RAM, the laptop has amazing built-in speakers from Dynaudio.
- The performance is almost as good as we'd expect.
- Our normal 3DMark Vantage benchmarks are impressive and right up there with most of our higher end gaming laptops.
- It will play any game on the market (like Medal of Honor) with pretty much every setting on max.
- As for the Dynaudio speakers, the sound is really great.
- Our only complaint is that they aren't loud enough.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5 (How do we rate gadgets?)