X

Studio Issues To Stall Upcoming Alien Prequel?

Baxter
14 Comments

Posted October 1, 2010 - By Joseph Baxter

Studio Issues To Stall Upcoming Alien Prequel?

Fans were understandably ecstatic when they heard the news that director Ridley Scott was set for a return  to the iconic franchise he helped create in Alien. And judging by the recent interview where he revealed his plans for possibly two 3D prequel films, it seems Scott's own enthusiasm for the project(s) may have had even the fans beat. Now, it seems that those ambitious plans have put the project in a bind, as the tab for Scott's latest brainchild may be quite a bit more than what studio 20th Century Fox is willing to pick up. On top of that, they're not exactly keen on putting out the gory "hard R" movie that he originally envisioned. The words "creative differences" have broken up many legendary bands and sunk even more potentially-legendary films. Now, it seems that Scott and the studio will need to work hard to hammer out something agreeable, lest this highly-anticipated project ends up joining that club.

With a projected budget of $250 million (which nearly equals the combined worldwide gross of the last two AVP films,) Scott didn't quite present a plan to Fox with an intricately-budgeted ribbon on top. It's obviously quite a hefty sum, especially for a prequel to a franchise that is over 30 years old which already had many different outings over the years. Hiring Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof to oversee the script, it's clear that he wants this to the tightest Alien film, yet. No doubt fueled by the spirit of competition against James Cameron's success with Avatar, Scott seems to want to make that film's horror/sci-fi 3D equivalent. As Scott told UK paper The Independent earlier this month:

"Jim's raised the bar and I've got to jump to it," he says, in a friendly jibe at Cameron. "He's not going to get away with it."

Yet staking a claim in the gory, R-rated department may prove a difficult move, due to Fox seemingly leaning towards more of PG-13 project. While that may not rub hardcore fans the right way, from Fox's perspective, the over $40 million deficit between 2004's PG-13 rated Alien vs. Predator ($172.5 million worldwide) and 2007's R-rated Alien vs. Predator: Requiem ($128.9 million worldwide) speaks for itself. So, Scott may find himself fighting the pure numbers, which (for better or worse,) are on Fox's side.

What's your take on this? Would a PG-13 Alien prequel (still directed by Ridley Scott) still get your adrenaline flowing?

Source: ScriptFlags (via Blastr)

Tags: Movies
Studio Issues To Stall Upcoming Alien Prequel?
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/707841/studio-issues-to-stall-upcoming-alien-prequel/
http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/251903_S/Studio-Issues-To-Stall-Upcoming-Alien-Prequel.jpg
BlogThread_707841

ADVERTISEMENT

Blog Tags

g4tv.com
  • Sara Underwood's Naked Bike Ride

    Posted: June 22, 2011

    1,267,620 Views | 05:20

  • International Sexy Ladies Show: Messy Cat Fight

    Posted: January 27, 2010

    594,282 Views | 00:49

  • Adult Star Kirsten Price Tests Kinect's Nude Filter

    Posted: November 12, 2010

    1,406,115 Views | 04:33

  • Best Nude Scenes in Video Games

    Posted: June 29, 2009

    1,504,085 Views | 03:12

  • International Sexy Ladies Show: Wrestling in Moscow

    Posted: June 19, 2009

    121,357 Views | 01:24

AdChoices