Motorola's Android phone is back with a new and improved look with the Droid 2, featuring a refined design, improved keyboard, 1 GHz processor and more. Kevin Pereira and Alison Haislip review the Droid 2 which sells for $100 plus a contract.
What You Need To Know
- This phone is exactly the same size as the original Droid, which is a good thing.
- It's still one of the thinnest phones on the market with a physical keyboard.
- It's an ounce heavier than the iPhone but fits in your pocket just fine.
- They also rounded the edges and expanded the keyboard all the way to the edges, which are improvements.
- The keyboard is much better since they got rid of the directional pad, which took up a lot of real estate on the first Droid.
- The keys are a little puffier, which makes it easier to type on.
- The Droid 2 comes with Android 2.2. (Froyo), MOTORBLUR widgets and a 1 GHz processor.
- The interface is almost as good as we want it to be.
- We like Android 2.2 but we noticed that the touch screen is less sensitive after the Froyo update.
- This seems to apply only to Motorola phones as HTC users haven't had a problem.
- MOTOBLUR widgets like contact shortcuts or social feeds are well thought out and easily customizable.
- Launching apps and games is just as fast as the iPhone 4 and HTC Evo.
- It's double the processor speed than the original Droid, but we thought there would be more of a speed difference.
- All standard features are there, including Adobe Flash support andn an improved camera.
- The web browser loads Flash but it's still a bit slow if you're trying to watch videos or play Flash games.
- They did add multi-touch support.
- The camera has improved but not as dramatically as we'd like.
- Photos are still a little muted and the video can only be recorded in 720x480 resolution (not HD).
- The Droid has 16 GB of storage, which is expandable up to 40.
- $100 with a contract on Amazon.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- This is the best phone with a full QWERTY keyboard that you can buy, especially for the price.
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to email@example.com.