Chris Hardwick and Alison Haislip check out the easy to use and portable Nikon Coolpix S4000 digital camera with its 3" touch screen, 12 megapixel, HD video recording and more for only $160.
What You Need To Know
- This Nikon camera is the same size as similar point and shoots.
- It's a little over 0.75" deep and weighs about as much as a smart phone.
- You can easily slide this in and out of your front pocket and it feels solid.
- The camera also comes in four different colors.
- One of the big selling points is the 3" touch screen, which is one of the better ones we've used.
- The screen is responsive and the menu options are easy to navigate.
- There's also an on-screen help system that explains what each option does.
- You can review your pictures by swiping across the screen.
- Nikon was selective in what features to include in the S4000.
- It has 4x optical zoom, which gets you a little closer to your subject.
- It has 16 scene modes for shooting in various lighting conditions.
- You can tap the screen to focus and take a picture all at once.
- You can write notes or draw directly on your photos, like in MS Paint.
- It also shoots video in 720p, which came out looking about as good as a Flip Cam.
- The picture quality does reflect in its cheap price.
- Colors in some of our outdoor shots were washed out.
- We also struggled with soft focus issues.
- We were happy with the majority of our outdoor pictures.
- Indoor photos weren't as good: backgrounds were underexposed and we saw a fair amount of noise.
- The auto focus was not 100% reliable, leading to blurry shots, even with a flash.
- 3 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
- It's the best budget priced Nikon camera we've seen.
- If you're taking pictures to share online, this will probably meet your needs.
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to email@example.com.