I downloaded the Mafia 2 demo last night, and I love it. Here's a list of reasons why, in no particular order:
- Vito's hair: That dude has some luxurious locks, full of post-war product. Good hair!
- Attention To Detail: Everything in the game looks lovingly crafted with a Mad Men meets mafioso vibe, perfectly evoking the days when men were men and women were wearing cone-shaped bras.
- The Shotgun: If it's true that you can judge a shooter by its shotgun, Mafia 2 passes. The game's boomstick feels heavy, solid and has a wicked recoil.
- Italian Stereotypes: Every once in a while, Italian groups decry the stereotyping of their nationality in pop culture, but I say, celebrate it! How could you ask for a better stereotype than nattily dressed he-men who are good with guns and rackets? (let's not mention The Jersey Shore.)
- The cars: The demo was too short to get a real handle on all the cars, but the ones I tried handled like real, 1950s land-yachts -- big, heavy and powerful, but not too maneuverable
- The Playboys: I'm not a big "collector" in gaming, but when finding an item results in a vintage, nudie pin-up, I'm making an exception.
What did you think of the demo?