Polish up your resume: According to a job listing on Gamasutra.com, Blizzard is staffing up for a new, unannounced project. The listing reads, in part:
Blizzard Entertainment is on the hunt for an exceptional FX artist who has experience in one or more of the following skills; modeling, texturing and/or animation. This person will create a broad range of highly-finished artwork to be featured in a new and exciting game experience. The position offers a unique opportunity to partner with team engineers and push the rendering capabilities of our target platform(s) with the goal of creating immersive and spectacular environments.
A "new and exciting game experience" could mean almost anything, of course... and the rest of the ad contains even fewer clues, but that isn't going to stop me from poring over it. Here are the requirements:
* 1-3 years in game development as a an FX or generalist artist
* Experience developing high-end particle systems and visual effects
* Comfortable interfacing with engineers to jointly define art technical requirements
* Skilled in developing artwork that works within a range of system configurations (looks great on the newest graphics chips but also holds up on lower-end systems)
* Strong working knowledge of Maya
* A passion for games
* Strong ability to model and texture hard surface/rigid objects within a range of styles (painterly to realistic)
* Background in painting, concept art or technical animation
* Previously shipped a AAA PC or console title
* Experience with Mel of MaxScript
This sentence: " (looks great on the newest graphics chips but also holds up on lower-end systems)" makes me think of World of Warcraft... but hey, it could be anything -- maddening, no?