PC gaming means taking video games to the extreme, which means Maingear's Shift Extreme may be the perfect fit. Kevin Pereira and Alison Haislip review this gaming PC with its redesigned case, Intel Hexa-core processor, NVIDIA GTX 480 video cards and up to 24 GB of RAM, which starts at $2,400.
What You Need To Know
- Maingear decided to go with the traditional big black monolith case, which measures about 2' tall and almost 2' deep, but only 9" wide.
- It's not the biggest gaming PC we've seen, but it's still big.
- In order to cool the computer off more efficiently, they've rotated all the components 90 degrees, which allows the fans to blow hot air out the top and pull in cool air from the bottom.
- It's still easy to get in and make modifications.
- Even though it's not a configuration we're used to, there's still a lot of room to work.
- The six hard drive bays make it easy to swap or add hard drives, since they just slide right out.
- One thing that's a little strange is that all the connections are on the top rather than the back, and they're covered by a grate, so they may not be readily accessible.
- Like the Falcon Northwest Talon, this computer has dual video cards but also has one of the fastest processors on the market: the Intel Hexa-core.
- This was the fastest computer we've tested.
- The 3DMark Vantage score was the highest ever in our normal gaming tests, but it just barely beat our second fastest computer.
- Of course, it will take on any game with no problem and will be hard to challenge even for the next few years.
- It's also very quiet.
- Chassis: MAINGEAR SHIFT Chassis with Advanced Vertical Heat Dissipation
- Exterior Finish: Brushed Black Aluminum with Acrylic and Matte Black Accents
- Power Supply: 1KW Silverstone Strider Modular Industrial Power Supply
- Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: 2x NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 480 3.0GB GDDR5 Total w/ PhysX [ENTHUSIAST]
- Motherboard: Asus® P6X58D Premium Supporting SLI/CrossFire, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz (32nm) 6-core with Hyperthreading
- Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR / Asetek Maintenance-Free X120 Liquid Cooling
- Memory: 6GB Kingston HyperX Triple-Channel DDR3-1600MHz Low Latency
- MAINGEAR Redline Overclocking Service: Intel® Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
- Hard Drive Bay One: 750GB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm 32MB Cache
- Hard Drive Bay Two: Pre-Wired SATA Backplane Expansion Bracket For Easy Upgrades
- Hard Drive Bay Three: Pre-Wired SATA Backplane Expansion Bracket For Easy Upgrades
- Hard Drive Bay Four: Pre-Wired SATA Backplane Expansion Bracket For Easy Upgrades
- Hard Drive Bay Five: Pre-Wired SATA Backplane Expansion Bracket For Easy Upgrades
- Hard Drive Bay Six: Pre-Wired SATA Backplane Expansion Bracket For Easy Upgrades
- Memory Card Reader: All-in-One Integrated USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer
- Optical Drive One: 24X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology
- Audio: 8-channel High Definition Surround Sound Support Coax and Optical S/DIF Out
- Network Adapter: Dual On-board Gigabit Ethernet
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- The Final Finesse: Designed, Manufactured, and Supported in the United States - Flawless Craftsmanship and Wire Management
- Angelic Service Warranty: Lifetime Labor and Phone Support with 2 Year Angelic Service
- $4,500.00 (Based on the above configuration)
- Even though it's extremely expensive, the performance and build quality are second to none.
- 4 Seals of Approval out of 5. (How do we rate gadgets?)
Want something reviewed on Gadget Pr0n? Email us your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.