Activision officially announced Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock this morning, revealing that tracks from The Cure, Muse, Jane’s Addiction, Foo Fighters, The Rolling Stones, and ZZ Top will be among the 90 songs playable when the game comes out for the PS3, 360 and Wii in September.
With any music game, the question is: "How is this different from the last 'follow-the-notes' Guitar Hero game?" The answers:
- New story-driven Quest Mode
- A "completely redesigned rock-inspired" guitar controller,
- the biggest on-disc selection of rock music ever in a Guitar Hero game
- Quickplay+, which "invites challenge-starved fanatics to test their rock skills in any of the on-disc or over 500 songs in the Guitar Hero Music Library."
The quest mode is narrated by Gene Simmons, and offers players the chance to "embark on a larger-than-life, epic rock journey from the stage of CBGBs, the infamous punk-rock club in New York City, to the molten lava fields of rock treachery as eight Guitar Hero characters transform into rock warriors that must join together to use their unique, game-changing powers to help the Demi-God of Rock take down “The Beast” and save rock n’ roll."
As for the track list:
- AFI – “Dancing Through Sunday”
- Avenged Sevenfold – “Bat Country”
- Black Sabbath – “Children Of The Grave”
- Buzzcocks – “What Do I Get?”
- Children Of Bodom – “If You Want Peace… Prepare For War”
- The Cure – “Fascination Street”
- Def Leppard – “Pour Some Sugar On Me (Live)”
- Dethklok – “Bloodlines”
- DragonForce – “Fury of the Storm”
- Drowning Pool – “Bodies”
- Foo Fighters – “No Way Back”
- Foreigner – “Feels Like The First Time”
- Jane’s Addiction – “Been Caught Stealing”
- KISS – “Love Gun”
- Megadeth – “Sudden Death”
- Metallica & Ozzy Osbourne – “Paranoid (Live)”
- Muse – “Uprising”
- My Chemical Romance – “I’m Not Okay (I Promise)”
- Queen – “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- Rammstein – “Waidmanns Heil”
- The Rolling Stones – “Stray Cat Blues”
- Silversun Pickups – “There’s No Secrets This Year”
- Slayer – “Chemical Warfare”
- ZZ Top – “Sharp Dressed Man (Live)”
We'll have to wait until E3 for the more in-depth coming out of this latest Guitar Hero game -- I can't wait to check out the new guitar controller! Here's my snap analysis: It seems like Activision is going for a more cartoony feel to their rock game. They're adding an over-the-top adventure to it, and have cast the ultimate rock cartoon character, Gene Simmons, to provide the voice. I get the feeling that this is like Tony Hawk where Rock Band is more like Skate -- both games are about skateboarding, but each has a different spin on the sport.
As for the track list: Love it. Nice selection of top songs. There's enough variety to keep things interesting, but the focus is clearly on rawk.
Check out the trailer below: